Time For A New Freezer?
We have a freezer in our garage that my FIL guesstimates is 35-40 years old.  The door gasket is leaking now - it builds up frost inside fairly quickly.  I can't find the model number online anywhere and door gaskets are not listed by size. It's a Gibson, but searching online they were bought out by somebody else.  The rep couldn't find my model number when I called.    It still works otherwise, but is it time for a new, more efficient one?  My thinking is the next thing to go on it is likely something where the freezer won't work at all and I'm in danger of losing what's in it.

That would be my choice...time to move on. But don't expect that kind of life from anything new, that old adage "they don't make them like they used to" is doubly true for appliances.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I, too, would move on.  

Your real challenge is likely to be availability of exactly what you want, particularly in terms of major brand, if that's important to you.

I can find new freezers around here in the Omaha area.  I need to not be picky about brand; "no-name" brand freezers are available easily enough.  But going by discussions in the Basement, that's not the case all over.  Some have complained about "nothing" being available in various locales, though it has been a couple months since I've read about the shortages of appliances.

Good luck.
Thanks. I was also thinking a new freezer. I am aware that some appliances are hard to come by right now. I don't know that we are picky on brand per se. We just need one that is big enough.

Try and buy commercial if you find one.
Ours is at least 35y old now. Still freezes strong.
Imperial brand. Got it from a food service co. out of KC, along with a year's worth of food.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

OBTW:  My parents had a Gibson upright freezer that they bought in West Texas, circa 1960.  That thing kept going and going, even through a few household moves.  We took it out of service and disposed of it when my Mom moved into a retirement facility in 2011.  I don't recall that freezer ever needing to be serviced.
Years ago they built things to last a lift time, now they build things to replace in 5 - 7 years.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Several years ago, we bought a new fridge. I caved and bought a three year warranty.

Almost useless. Freezer quit freezing(fridge worked sorta). Warranty paid for the part and the repair----but it took over a month to get it fixed. We actually bought a small apartment sized fridge for less than the price of the extended warranty---since we had no fridge for that time.

Ice maker went out----three weeks post warranty. Cost to repair was about half the price of the unit.

Have had food supply company industrial type freezers for over 30 years(on #4 now). Numbers one and three were provided/replaced by the company. Number three was virtually free since it was paid for in discounts for ordering.

Get the best(longest) warranty you can. Some brands are almost throwaways.
Take a look at these:

https://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Pa...Seal-Parts

I've got an Imperial as well, that I bought used 30 years ago, and would re-gasket it rather than buy new.

The coils are in the shelves.

No fan, no defroster.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]