What am I doing wrong. SharkBite threaded connector
Had to do some plumbing this weekend. One of my hose bibs was failing and it was not repairable. The old piping was polybutelene so I switched out a small section her w pex until we can get the house re-plumbed. I got the Shark Bite connector with on threaded side to connect with the threaded hose bib. The problem is it threaded part is dripping. The threaded sections only mesh about 6 threads but it seems like it should go more. All of the threads are clean. I also added some Teflon tape on the threads. It isn't dripping nearly as bad as the old one so it is still a win in my opinion but I want to stop the drips so I can secure it in the wall. Is it normal for the thread to stick out this far? How much Teflon tape do I need to use? Is that the right thing to use?

Attached Files Image(s)

Take all the teflon tape off and put new on with more layers ,3 or 4 layers and wrap it on in the direction so it will tighten (wrap tighter) when threading it on. Or you can use a combo of tape and paste. Inspect the threads when apart, some of the new imported "brass" is not of the best quality of brass and machining. Roly
I might have gone with something like this:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/SharkBite-24...R2EALw_wcB

You can still reuse it when the house is re-plumbed. 

Anyway, I would take the hose bib off, then use paste.  I use paste for metal to metal, and tape for metal to plastic or plastic to plastic.  Wrap the tape clockwise around the fitting.

Ok, so paste or more tape are my solutions. The fact that the threads didn't mesh more is not an issue?
Very little experience here:  but I had the same issue a few weeks ago.  I tried paste instead of tape, and it worked great.
(03-08-2021, 03:02 PM)stav Wrote: Ok, so paste or more tape are my solutions. The fact that the threads didn't mesh more is not an issue?

that depends.  was it cross threaded?  that's hard to tell from a picture.  Plumbing threads are usually tapered, so differences in taper can be an issue.  I would start with the paste and see if that fixes it.

I'm pretty sure that it is not cross threaded. It threaded pretty easily up to the point where it stopped.  

I generally have problems with threaded plumbing connectors.
IME the paste is both a thread sealant and a lubricant so you can get things a little bit tighter.

Thanks. I've never used the paste and no one has ever suggested it was necessary that I can recall.  It was always the teflon tape.
You need Blue Rectorseal, Home depot or lowes or Ace will have it. It's your new best friend
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay