Drill for drilling in beams and mixing plaster: Bosch GBM9-16? Or other?
Safety Note; The Milwaukee right angle drill mentioned several times in this thread is capable of changing the chuck direction (and speed) by loosening the collar. Make sure the collar is torqued tightly before resuming drilling operation. If not tightly locked in position, if the bit jams, the drill body will rotate! Just another one of those "experience lessons".

B.T.W. when my drill was abused to the point that the gears stripped in the right angle attachment, I put the chuck directly on the drill and a handle where the collar was. I purchased another newer complete kit for less than what a new right angle attachment would cost.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(03-16-2021, 12:01 PM)Fishnaked Wrote: Thanks, everyone. I should have noted before that while my upcoming job only has five 12" posts to drill through, I'll be drilling a lot of holes in 4x8s and will continue to use the drill for other beams in later projects.

The HF drill is in my price range but...I'm leery of HF tools. I've never regretted spending a little more on a quality tool but, have regretted buying cheaper tools. I see there's a lot of love for the Hole Hog and similar drills but...besides the HF version, they are far more than I want to spend. I like the idea of buying a quality used one but haven't the patience to keep an eye out.

All that said, I keep going back to the Bosch I mentioned. I like the Bosch tools I currently own and that model looks to be pretty versatile and gets very good reviews. Given my criteria, is there a reason not to get it?

"After reading the description and specs I'd be surprised if the Bosch doesn't meet your needs."

Doug
Well...as luck would have it, I was at an old friend's house the other day when he told me he was liquidating many of his older construction tools. He asked if I needed anything. I said "Yeah, a drill I could drill through timbers with and mix plasters". He reached up on a shelf holding a dozen or so power tools, grabbed an old 1/2" Makita that looks like the Bosch I asked about and said "Here ya go!". He couldn't find the chuck to it...and it seems to be an odd size. It's also missing the top handle that screws in. The price was right though (practically free) and I can easily make a handle.

I love how the world can work. Patience seems to almost always pay off for me.