Drill for drilling in beams and mixing plaster: Bosch GBM9-16? Or other?
(03-14-2021, 01:03 AM)Bob10 Wrote: Hole hawg is known to break body parts and toss people off ladders.  I own one that sees little use but it will do what you want CL or pawn shop.  Unless you do the 1/2" x 12" all day long I would get one of these.  I have one or 2 of these never smoked one mixing mud or drilling 1/2" holes.  I use the hawg when I am drilling holes for drains.  
[Image: 00l0l_gi366A4CrE8z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg]

Nice thing about this Milwaukee is that the 90 degree attachment allows for two speeds and is also removable, allowing a normal straight drill configuration.
It depends on your level of usage. Infrequent, go to HF and get their version of the HoleHawg. I have an old Milwaukee and a much later HF. Both work fine. But there is a huge difference in price.

Other than the RPM, there are other benefits of the 90deg rather than inline chuck drills. Torque control is one, really makes it easy to control when drilling big holes or mixing thinset etc. And the shorter drill makes drilling studs and joists much easier.
(03-14-2021, 10:09 AM)Tapper Wrote: That Bosch looks like a fine tool for your application and Amazon has it for $150+, right in your budget. I have many Bosch tools and have nothing but good things to say about them AND the company - great service. I also have a Milwaukee heavy duty tailed drill (don't have the model # at my fingertips) I bought several years ago to drill some holes for Tapcon screws - good tool also.

After reading the description and specs I'd be surprised if the Bosch doesn't meet your needs.

Doug

Thanks, Doug.

Thanks to all the other posters as well. Question: I've had 3/8" drills twist on me and that was enough! I've had enough injuries so don't really want to experience that with one of these larger drills. What's the trick to minimizing the chance of it happening?
(03-14-2021, 09:10 PM)Fishnaked Wrote: Thanks, Doug.

Thanks to all the other posters as well. Question: I've had 3/8" drills twist on me and that enough. I've had enough injuries so don't really want to experience that with one of these larger drills. What's the trick to minimizing the chance of it happening?

When mixing mud, I use the right angle drill (as shown in Bob's picture) with the drill body against my left thigh holding the bucket between my feet. Depending on the length of the paddle, I will sometimes use my thumb to pull the trigger. Basically, you always try to brace the right side of the drill against something solid. This allows a much gentler grip, and again I feel totally comfortable using my thumb to pull the trigger. It keep the fingers from getting crushed.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
That Milwaukee right angle drill is very capable of doing serious bodily harm also....damhikt.

Laugh

Ed
Get a HF drill for drilling the beams and a dedicated mud mixer for the tile work.
HF drill at your price point.  Can be cheaper on sale,

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tool...64121.html

I have a right angle Dewalt that has a feature that senses when its about to throw you off a ladder and stop the drill.
Vaping Bad.........
For drilling holes through utility poles we used a impact wrench with wood augers for them,  they just start impacting instead of trying to twist you off the pole.  We also used them for drilling steel in the air but was hell on the drill bits.     I don't think a impact would be good for mixing mud.  Roly
(03-15-2021, 03:08 PM)Sean® Wrote: HF drill at your price point.  Can be cheaper on sale,

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tool...64121.html

I have a right angle Dewalt that has a feature that senses when its about to throw you off a ladder and stop the drill.

Thanks, everyone. I should have noted before that while my upcoming job only has five 12" posts to drill through, I'll be drilling a lot of holes in 4x8s and will continue to use the drill for other beams in later projects.

The HF drill is in my price range but...I'm leery of HF tools. I've never regretted spending a little more on a quality tool but, have regretted buying cheaper tools. I see there's a lot of love for the Hole Hog and similar drills but...besides the HF version, they are far more than I want to spend. I like the idea of buying a quality used one but haven't the patience to keep an eye out.

All that said, I keep going back to the Bosch I mentioned. I like the Bosch tools I currently own and that model looks to be pretty versatile and gets very good reviews. Given my criteria, is there a reason not to get it?
(03-14-2021, 01:03 AM)I have one of these that I would be willing to sell. Bob10 Wrote: Hole hawg is known to break body parts and toss people off ladders.  I own one that sees little use but it will do what you want CL or pawn shop.  Unless you do the 1/2" x 12" all day long I would get one of these.  I have one or 2 of these never smoked one mixing mud or drilling 1/2" holes.  I use the hawg when I am drilling holes for drains.  
[Image: 00l0l_gi366A4CrE8z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg]