Painting plywood yard decorations
Long time reader, first time poster. I am working on some plywood pumpkin silhouettes and I don't know what is a good paint to use. I would like to avoid oil based, but I will use it if that's the best way to go.  Also, any thoughts on primer and clear coat would be greatly appreciated. I used spray paint and spray clear coat on cat silhouettes last year and didn't impress myself.
I'm in the dark on artistic painting (and a lot of other things
Laugh ) but I would be sure to use a good exterior oil based primer. After that an acrylic exterior paint (not necessarily an oil based one), with a good quality paint there is no need for a clear coat.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Interesting OP as I’m sure all have seen the attractive outdoor items in pattern catalogs just waiting to be made. Myself I’d like the large basic Bigfoot to set out along the yard fence line.
What the Heck, Give it a Try
Thanks for the replies. Nothing artistic about these, all orange with a brown stem. I would like to do the Bigfoot with the seasonal clothes but my wife isn't on board with that.... yet.
as fred mentioned, with the right paints, a clear isnt necessary.
however, i like to use a clear for added protection. the 2 i have used and  seem to hold up very good are gentral finishes 450  or sherwin williams A100 non tinted. that one is an exterior house paint. non tinted means its the base that is used to make the different colors. without those tints added it dries clear.
I would mention that you should put a couple extra coats on cut edges.  Use Sealcoat to spot prime any knots.  You cannot use Sealcoat for larger surfaces outdoors, but it is fine for spot priming.  That will prevent bleedthrough. 

If I wanted the items to last, I would use a marine paint.  These will usually be oil based and are designed to withstand constant contact with water.  You probably only need a quart, so even though marine paint is expensive, you won't need much of it.

Oil based enamels and marine enamels are available from Benjamin Moore, PPG and Sherwin-Williams.  If you go to a marine supply store they probably won't be able to mix custom colors.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I would check in with one of the local outdoor sign painters shops and see what paints they are using. I doubt they are using big box house paints. I know from some previous projects they had different paints at least for their lettering that held up better and kept their color truer in the sun and weather.