Solid wood furniture
(03-12-2021, 11:03 AM)Cooler Wrote: I used www.translate.com to find out what "salvaggio" means.  It means "save".  Maybe that was a hint.

Salvaggio is a common family name in Italy.  When used as a name, it means wild or uncouth person.  Derived from "selvaggio."
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-13-2021, 05:24 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Don't tell people who build boxes or furniture for a living know about the examples of quotes you share here. They'd tell you you were losing big money on those jobs.

Your story reminds me of a window contractor who was fixing something at my place, and saw a one of a kind shelving (featuring complex joinery cut by hand) in the room. I bit my tongue and kindly declined to give him a quote as he wanted to have something similar built for him. I knew he'd thought either I was greedy or I was crazy if I mouthed an amount.

One time, I spent a full day on something for a non-profit entity. I sent a bill to cover everything including my shop time at a rate that was in line with my skill level, but I brought the amount due to zero by adding a discount line. I always try to let people know how much my craftsmanship is worth, even though there may be no money changing hands. If you yourself don't value your own work, other people probably won't either.

Simon

I know I was losing money on those projects.  As I said up front, I normally don't sell my work any longer.  If I do projects, and don't keep them, they are given as gifts, or donated to charities for auctions. 
Smirk  That is what was so annoying in the snarky comments.  The pendulum cradle?  IF I built one on commission for sale?  $2,000 to $3,000 depending on materials.  The curly cherry jewelry box, not quoting to a close friend?  $600 to $800.

I quit dealing with sales because it bled the joy out of a hobby I really enjoyed.  This way there is no pressure. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Most of the people I've built stuff for have never questioned my quote, but recently I had a lady who wanted me to build a whole bathroom worth of stuff.  Frame and panel wainscoting around the walls, a vanity with inset doors and drawers, a matching cabinet over the toilet and another for towel storage.  All custom of course.  When I first met with her I told her to buy commercial cabinets if she liked them as I would be more expensive.  But she was undeterred and kept pushing me for a quote "for budget purposes".  I made a sketch of the vanity from the info. she provided, enough that I could guestimate the cost. I sent her the sketch and told her it would be in the $1000 range.  Haven't heard a word since.  And I'm OK with that.  I've built enough vanities. 

On the other hand, the lady who asked me to build the memorial bench came yesterday to pick it up and pay me.  She was so happy with it and said the family was going to love it.  Made my day.  

[Image: ACtC-3cWUZSKjaH_WoK6kJPP6xGPcdkNThlDmEXz...authuser=0] 

John
(03-13-2021, 07:54 PM)jteneyck Wrote: On the other hand, the lady who asked me to build the memorial bench came yesterday to pick it up and pay me.  She was so happy with it and said the family was going to love it.  Made my day.  

John

Did you etch the wordings with a router template or some kind of an engraving machine?

(Must be proud for you to do the bench for such a courageous teen.)

Simon
(03-13-2021, 08:59 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Did you etch the wordings with a router template or some kind of an engraving machine?

(Must be proud for you to do the bench for such a courageous teen.)

Simon

Simon, I was honored to build it.  I didn't know the girl, but the lady I built it for told me she twice beat childhood leukemia only to succumb to rejection of donor bone marrow (I think).  She said she was such a sweet girl and caring person, too. "Only the good die young" seemed as appropriate for the engraving as what she asked me to do.  In that regard, the carving was done by a friend of mine on his Axiom CNC machine after I had the parts shaped to final dimensions but prior to glue up.  

And it's solid wood.  Red mulberry.  

John
The OP reminds of an old desk by Art Carpenter, Bolinas: the Carpdesk

https://furnsoc.org/events/award-of-dist...-carpenter
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
And that Carpstar seen in the link you provided reminds me of Maloof's.

Simon