Laguna 12-16
Looking at replacing my HFT 12x36 34706 after 20 years of use. I need a little more power but want a minimum speed a whole bunch lower. I've been between the Jet 1221vs and the Laguna 12-16. I'm leaning toward the Laguna but I've heard that some folks have had issues with the lathe. Anyone here use a 12-16 and could offer some insight?
RT, the DooRag® Daddy

(03-12-2021, 07:44 AM)Ruffturn® Wrote: Looking at replacing my HFT 12x36 34706 after 20 years of use. I need a little more power but want a minimum speed a whole bunch lower. I've been between the Jet 1221vs and the Laguna 12-16. I'm leaning toward the Laguna but I've heard that some folks have had issues with the lathe. Anyone here use a 12-16 and could offer some insight?

I can offer some insight, I run a public woodshop and we have both 16 and 18 inch Laguna bandsaws. They are good saws but getting parts for them is frustrating beyond belief. If you want a really fun time call Laguna in California and try and order parts, you get to leave a message with a clerk and the parts people decide if they are going to call you or email you. 
   I had to hand make a part that the tech actually denied was a factory part on the saw, until he went and checked one there at Laguna and found it. When I asked him how do I get a replacement, he answered "I have no idea, it's not on the parts list. They also told me they do not stock any hardware, (nuts, bolts, washers or roll pins) that all has to be special ordered from Italy. Jet parts you can buy anywhere, and a lot of places stock the parts. I'd go with a Jet any day over the Laguna for parts availability alone. 

Paul
That’s some great information. I like the looks and options of Laguna stuff, but have heard various complaints about customer service. Your insight as someone who has maintained them for years, is really helpful.

Being able to get parts is important. When I filled my shop many years ago, I picked a company that had good customer service and a great parts department. I filled my shop with Delta grey. They had been in business forever and weren’t going anywhere. We know how well that decision worked out for me.
John
I've gotten good service from my Rikon 70-220VSR, might want to take a look at that as well. Don't know about parts or service--haven't needed either in 4 years.
earl
(03-13-2021, 06:31 AM)jstraw Wrote: That’s some great information.  I like the looks and options of Laguna stuff, but have heard various complaints about customer service.  Your insight as someone who has maintained them for years, is really helpful.

Being able to get parts is important.  When I filled my shop many years ago, I picked a company that had good customer service and a great parts department.  I filled my shop with Delta grey.  They had been in business forever and weren’t going anywhere.  We know how well that decision worked out for me.

I understand that, we had a Delta mortiser and a thickness sander. Both models fell out of favor with the new ownership after the company was sold. Since it's a public shop we don't alter machinery for liability reasons. In our own personal shops it's not a big deal but when the public uses it, things change. We replaced both our Delta machines because needed parts weren't available. I hunted for about a month for a simple On/Off switch for the mortiser before I found a place with some new old stock. Good luck with your choice. 

Paul
(03-12-2021, 07:44 AM)Ruffturn® Wrote: Looking at replacing my HFT 12x36 34706 after 20 years of use. I need a little more power but want a minimum speed a whole bunch lower. I've been between the Jet 1221vs and the Laguna 12-16. I'm leaning toward the Laguna but I've heard that some folks have had issues with the lathe. Anyone here use a 12-16 and could offer some insight?

I upgraded to a Laguna 18-36 about 2 years ago now and have been very happy with the lathe.   Overall well built and put together.  Some folks have had some issues with the banjo, but mine has been trouble free.  Some of the high usage folks have purchased One-way banjo's as a replacement.  

There is a pretty active Laguna Lathe Owners group on facebook that is good to see what others are doing and experincing.  There have been some electrical issues reported with the 18/36, mainly relays/start stop switches, but Laguna has been really good about support and parts once they are aware of the issue.   I do not recall any issues that stand out on the 12-16.   You may want to check out the group.

I'd buy the same lathe again without hesitation.

Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
I have an Laguna 18HD handsaw - italian made - capacitor went out. Ordering replacement part was easy. they even gave me the part number for it so if I wanted to source it elsewhere I could

A couple of times that I need a customer service they've been great

Just my personal experience. I remember when I bought the band saw there was a lot of bad experiences on the forums with customer service they were so heavily sales centric they seem to forgotten that but from everything that I've experienced in a lot of people I've spoke to they've really improved in the customer service department