Garage sale find
$2 at a garage sale 
No makers mark other than No 8 on the front 
About 23 inches long 

[attachment=34011]
You can't beat $2 on a no 8 no matter who made it.
(03-12-2021, 04:45 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: $2 at a garage sale 
About 23 inches long 
Nice score!  Hard to see the lateral lever but from the photo, if I had to guess, would think it's a Stanley.   Looks like the wood is all there and plenty of blade.  Touch up the edge and take it for a test run to see how it does.  
Andrew
You may find this helpful: https://www.timetestedtools.net/2016/01/...and-plane/
That’s a steal for that plane. Can’t beat 20 cents a pound. Clean her up and give it a try.
John
Is there a K 8 on the toe?  I cant tell from the picture and it also looks like it has a frog adjusting screw, does it? The tote looks to be a Stanley. Also Stanley blades has the large circle at the bottom of the blade on yours the circle yours looks to be at the top, is it. I think you plane is a Keen Kutter K series made by Stanley. If it is a K8 it actually is the same plane as the Bed Rock round side. Stanley changed the casting number when they switch to the flat sided Bed Rock..

Tom
(03-12-2021, 04:45 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: $2 at a garage sale 
About 23 inches long 

I'm guessing it may be a Union.
By any chance does the lateral lever have a single 90° twist at the very end?
(03-18-2021, 11:08 AM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Removed the blade and on the backside on top it is marked 

Stanley Rule & Level Co.

And it may well turn out to be a Stanley product.

But that is in no way dispositive - blades come and go, and are swapped between same size planes.

Are you able to answer my question (above), or at least give us some good photos of the lateral lever?
(03-19-2021, 02:59 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Here are a couple more pictures 
Still dirty, I have not cleaned it up yet.

Thanks

I think you have an early Union plane, based on the adjusting lever assembly.
Have a look at this page and compare yours with the image. (scroll about halfway down)

Is anything cast into the bed between frog and rear handle?

Hopefully others will chime in.
As mentioned above this means the blade can be proven to made by Stanley Rule and Level. That style logo is a early example and indicates it quite old. And the logo was on the bottom of the blade? Maybe the blade was set in upside down. As to the plane itself usually (not necessarily always) a Stanley product will have some markings one the body. Perhaps on the nose end it has Bailey across the width?
At any rate 2 Dollars for a number 8 is great. A little elbow grease and you could have a great find.
I love garage sale finds!