A drum sander with a twist
For things like thin stock for pick guards or head stock laminations, a pattern router bit runs the risk of shattering the work piece. So I'm trying to put a bearing on a drill press drum sander. It took a lot of mucking around, but I finally got something workable.

Very cool, Paul.

It wasn't the main thrust of the video, but I'm lovin' that C-man lathe.  I've turned HDPE on my Jet Midi for small parts, but that doesn't come anywhere close to the precision you need for the project you showed.
(03-13-2021, 06:49 AM)WxMan Wrote: Very cool, Paul.

It wasn't the main thrust of the video, but I'm lovin' that C-man lathe.  I've turned HDPE on my Jet Midi for small parts, but that doesn't come anywhere close to the precision you need for the project you showed.

Yea, it is limited but for aluminum, brass, plastics and wood it comes in handy.
Aren't those available commercially?  Pretty sure I've seen them somewhere.  

John
(03-13-2021, 03:38 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Aren't those available commercially?  Pretty sure I've seen them somewhere.  

John

Lee Valley carries them as template sanders.

But making your own is cool.
They are. But in my shop I already had the makings of the small one so that was essentially free. The larger one saved me some money but I didn't think I would have to go through so much work to save that money! If I was a commercial venture I would have cut with the $$ but as it is I don't know how much use I will actually get out of these. I think I like making jigs/tools more than what they are made for!
(03-14-2021, 07:58 AM)paulmon Wrote: They are. But in my shop I already had the makings of the small one so that was essentially free. The larger one saved me some money but I didn't think I would have to go through so much work to save that money! If I was a commercial venture I would have cut with the $$ but as it is I don't know how much use I will actually get out of these. I think I like making jigs/tools more than what they are made for!
I think I like making jigs/tools more than what they are made for!

Same here, Paul!!!!!!! Good job...interesting video !!!!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset