Knife Build
(03-13-2021, 02:57 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Nice write up,  especially the part on smoothing the front of the scales.  I bought a Woodcraft blade years ago, looks exactly like the last photo, and my wife uses it all the time.
What wood did you choose for her scales?
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Setting up the area for my leather working now.  Ordered a head knife from Amazon at about 4am this morning.  Have been watching leather working videos off and on since the knife was finished.  Need to get a hand back in.  I can do most of the sheath work sitting in the wheel chair. 
Winkgrin  The head knife is due in tomorrow.   I should knock that out in a day or so and have it posted up completed.
Jim in Okie
After watching so many amateurs on Forged In Fire ruin their scales during assembly, I was curious how you would do it. You used the same method I would have used. I think it's the best way to ensure the holes are aligned prior to installing the pins. Good job!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Actually, extremely happy with the wood I used.  It is from flooring - called Brazilian cherry which I think is actually Jatoba.  The reason I like it so much is that I did not have to apply any finish to it, and it has held up for years, and gives you a good grip on the  knife.  Sometimes a knife with too much of a finish on its handle gets slick, especially with a little moisture.
I used some beautifully figured brazilian cherry in a cradle build years ago, I really liked the results.
Jim in Okie
I gotta do this someday...........maybe after I retire from being retired.

Nice work there BOM.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-14-2021, 05:13 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I gotta do this someday...........maybe after I retire from being retired.

Nice work there BOM.

Thanks all, the head knife did come in today.  I got the leather work area is off to a good start, I will start practicing the carving and stamping on some scraps.  I'll start a leather working thread for that, then make the sheath, then back to knives for two more kits.  Another Tanto from the cocobolo, and the medium skinner for my daughter, also in cocobolo that she chose, highly figured.

Her sheath will be an attempt at inlay.  An OK quarter, and maybe some buffalo or snakeskin.  
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
I got the April Woodcraft flyer.  The Tanto kit will be 50% off in April.  I'll likely buy a couple more and toss them in the drawer.  They have a couple other kits and a flush cut saw on sale as well. 
Big Grin. FYI.
Jim in Okie
Nice build you’ve done, what’s your thoughts on the quality of the knife blade steel ? Thanks for your time .
What the Heck, Give it a Try
It's a basic knife, and sharp.  I don't know if it's going to hold an edge for an extended period.  My daughter has been using the small skinner around her farm daily for several years, it was my first build. I know it holds an edge very well, and has held up well.  Last year I refinished the scales and returned the knife to her, she was a happy camper.  This year for Christmas, she wants the medium skinner and sheath.
Big Grin
Jim in Okie