spurtle design?

My wife asked me to make a "spurtle".  I've looked online and didn't really find a design.  (BTW it seems like there is a round one and a kind of flat one with rounded ends like a paddle)  She wants the paddle version.

If you have something you could share I would appreciate it.  Some look kind of curved but I hope to do flat with a round handle.

Let me know what you have experience with.

What is a good wood to use?  I guess something with closed grain like walnut, cherry, maple.
  Re: spurtle design? by toolmiser (My wife asked me to ...)
I didn't know that there's a type of spurtle that has a flat end.

Like this?

Was piddling around in the shop a couple years ago and turned the long round one.  Sycamore.

LOML got the other one from somewhere last fall; don't know what it's made from.  Any straight-grained piece of close pore wood should do, I think.
The flat ended spurtles usually have long and narrow flat ends.  Kind of like a narrow spatula stretched out.  I have this narrow spatula shown below (purchased) that I have found to be extremely useful.  The difference is that the grip end would be round.

Littledeer brand - sold by Lee Valley.

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-13-2021, 08:27 PM)toolmiser Wrote: My wife asked me to make a "spurtle".  I've looked online and didn't really find a design.  (BTW it seems like there is a round one and a kind of flat one with rounded ends like a paddle)  She wants the paddle version.

If you have something you could share I would appreciate it.  Some look kind of curved but I hope to do flat with a round handle.

Let me know what you have experience with.

What is a good wood to use?  I guess something with closed grain like walnut, cherry, maple.

Bear in mind what the traditional spurtle was designed for - stirring the porridge.   Back in the day, a sticky, thick, almost dough-like mess.  Thus the handled dowel type.  Less drag as direction changed.  

If you're after a spatula, make a spatula.  Whatever she wants.  I use cherry or yellow birch.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Plenty of them show up on an Etsy search, here’s one to view.

Attached Files Image(s)

What the Heck, Give it a Try
Wikipedia has a definition with pictures "a wooden Scottish kitchen tool, dating from the fifteenth century, that is used to stir  porridge, soups, stews, and broths ".   I made one from hard maple as another book recommended and it worked well. You see advertising today selling spurtles as wooden kitchen tools of just about any design can make a profit on.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
I’ve been seeing them advertised on TV as a set, remembered the name  Big Grin.

https://www.buyspurtle.com/
Jim

Remember the bird has a right wing and a left wing and uses both to fly. 
  Re: RE: spurtle design? by stoppy (I’ve been seeing the...)
(03-17-2021, 08:17 PM)stoppy Wrote: I’ve been seeing them advertised on TV as a set, remembered the name  Big Grin.

https://www.buyspurtle.com/

That is what she saw and wants me to make.  I guess I work cheap, or need to justify tool purchases made over the last 30+ years.
(03-17-2021, 08:43 PM)toolmiser Wrote: That is what she saw and wants me to make.  I guess I work cheap, or need to justify tool purchases made over the last 30+ years.

Looks like what Mom used to correct behavior when I was a kid.  Now it has an ancient Scottish name?
My Mom used to threaten us (me) with a yard stick. I was at a paint store a couple years ago, and they handed me a stir stick, and I said my Dad used to call them "paddling sticks", I got a few looks for that comment.