Small Walnut Slabs
Folks,

My normal modus operandi would be to cluelessly dive right in, make major mistakes, and then solicit advice on how to rectify the situation.  I thought I would try something different this time.  

Several years ago (August 2012) a friend gave me two walnut chunks.  At the time, I wasn't sure they would be big enough to be useful, but I resawed them into thick slabs, sealed the ends, and they've been drying ever since.  I note that I didn't do the original cutting; I would have tried to go further past the crotch.  I say this because I think it might be difficult to keep some of the feathery crotch figure if it is too close to the ends.

Plan B is to turn them on the lathe, hopefully ending up with bowls/platters (the slabs are pretty thick, so something should be possible).  I think plan B is an adequate option, so no need for plan C (also known as firewood).

Plan A is the question for you guys/gals.  There should be some nice figure buried in them somewhere, so the question is whether to try to go after it.  What do you think about going for veneer or boards, and how would you go about doing it?  Or, would you consider trimming it and making small slab tables/benches/whatever?  

[Image: eb364ph5cez34Gza8]

All of the pictures are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5RcFMqa1nPuosWrXA

Thanks,
Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
I'm trying to get a sense of scale.  Based on the table they're on, 2' long and maybe 1' wide?
Whatever you make with these will be small and generate a seemingly large amount of waste (since no waste was cut in the original milling). This is okay. I would rip a straight edge at the bandsaw, joint it, and resaw some boards for a small box or similar project from those skinny ones. The wider pieces with interesting grain and knots in the middle are decorative in nature, so use them decoratively: panels or bench or table tops. 

Even though they are air dry be sure to give them a few days after resawing to settle down before using.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(03-14-2021, 07:32 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: I'm trying to get a sense of scale.  Based on the table they're on, 2' long and maybe 1' wide?

Good question, I should have included that.  The wide 3 are about 18" x 20".  The narrow 2 are about 8ish" x 24".  

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
Looks like a good supply if material for decorative boxes.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Lots of options.  Veneer, small boxes, door panels.  

John
what about resawing them and then making charcutarie boards by pouring epoxy in a mold with the board enbedded?
Jason
Mesurei, cutti, cursi