I need to sister a rafter. Am I on the right track? Updated
(03-16-2021, 10:51 AM)chrisntam Wrote: Wood glue or construction adhesive? 

And thank you for all the advice, it is appreciated!

FTR, it's on a short hip, I don't think there will be much jacking force needed to bring it back in line.

chris.

Construction adhesive.   I was putting walls in a basement and gluing the sill plates down.  I framing the walls flat and standing them up.  One had a door in it.  I left the sill plate whole so the bottom wouldn't twist while I was putting it up. I would cut that section out later.  I forgot and glued the area in the doorway also.  The 2x4 failed before the glue did.

All good advice. As for the angle cut; just mark a plumb cut with your speed square or framing square. Set your saw to 45* bevel. In a perfect world it would fit perfectly, so adjust to fit.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
It’s probably way overkill but I would sandwich a strip of plywood between the rafter and the lumber you are sistering. I’d vote for some glue as part of the sandwich.  Construction glue is amazingly strong.
I repaired it this morning, 2x6 on each side, construction adhesive and structural screws.  The sag is gone.  

Thank you for the advice.

chris.