Contemplating SawStop, basic questions...
Hi all,

I am contemplating replacing my 1980s PM66 with a SawStop. I gather that for a serious hobbyist, the pro version is plenty of saw (I don't care about the extra depth on Industrial). Correct me if you know horror stories about Pro This is not so much about the brake, more about dust collection (big priority), with riving knife and table flatness coming in just behind that.

Saw will be 3HP 52". Other than Pro vs. Industrial question (Pro, unless I hear bad things about it), if I pull the trigger, I would like to get everything I need from the get-go. Here's my list of things to get, if I pull the trigger. My questions is, anything to add or take away from this list?

-Saw (duh)
-Spare brake cartridge
-New dado stack
-I vaguely remember a different cartridge for dado stack, but not seeing anything like that -- is there a separate one I need to get?
-Hose adapter, if I need one, for my current overhead DC connection to fit SS guard
-Spare insert for dado stack

I have a home built router table in my PM66, but I'll probably build a separate stand for that.

Thanks all.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
You will need a separate cartridge for the dado stack. They not only accommodate the smaller diameter, but also the increased width of the blades. I have the ICS, though I would not have hesitated to buy the Pro model. There was no need in my shop for the ICS, except maybe to fill my ego (yeah, pretty stupid reason). You didn't list a mobile base...and i high;y recommend you get the ICS base. IMO it sets a new standard for mobile case. The saw sits on the floor, and a hydraulic lift picks it up for moving. If the ICS base has a shortcoming it's the fact that it only lifts the saw up maybe 3/8", so moving over a ridge of some sort become a challenge. If you stay with the regular blade guard/dust pickup, I would hook it to a shop vac instead of your DC. The opening is maybe 1 1/4" and a DC struggles with something that small. You said DC is important, consider either buying the SS overarm pick up (it's the Excalibur..SS bought the rights and painted it black) or maybe even better the Shark Guard. They (SG )make one specifically for the SS.  I have one of the original Excalibur units on mine. Congrats on your decision...but giving up a PM66 has to be tough to do.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I love my SawStop professional 3hp saw. 

I;ve had it for 15 years, and it's never given me any issues. I recently checked the alignment, and my serious hobbyist use has not impacted the blade or fence alignment at all.

I don't have an overhead dust collector, but the dust port out the back is effective with my 1.5hp Delta 5 micron bag collector.

I would buy an extra regular cartridge as well as one for the dado set, as well as a blank zero clearance insert.

FYI, I've called SawStop, and they claim the cartridges never expire.

Looks like you have everything else covered.
Jason
Mesurei, cutti, cursi

I have the PCS with 36" T-glide fence.  Love it.

I keep a spare cartridge for the regular blade.  

I do have a dado stack and associated cartridge, but I don't keep a spare dado cartridge.  When I bought cartridges, the regular cartridge was $69.99 and the dado cartridge was $89.99.

I have only ever had one unexpected issue, and that was with my first dado cartridge about six years ago.  I had the dado installed and had been doing some work.  I took a break to eat lunch and left the shop.  The saw was not running, but I left the master switch powered "on."  When I returned to the shop, I prepared for my next dado cut, but the saw wouldn't turn on.  I looked at the switch box, and the flashing lights indicated a fault.  I turned off the master switch, unplugged the saw, and  removed the insert to look inside.  The cartridge had "fired" while I was out of the shop, and the brake block was positioned against the dado stack.  After some finaggling, I was able to remove the brake and the dado stack.  The dado stack was not damaged because the saw wasn't running when the cartridge fired.  I called SS customer service.  They overnighted a new cartridge and had me return the fired cartridge for analysis.  I never did hear back about what they found.
(03-15-2021, 01:13 PM)Aram Wrote: Hi all,

I am contemplating replacing my 1980s PM66 with a SawStop. I gather that for a serious hobbyist, the pro version is plenty of saw (I don't care about the extra depth on Industrial). Correct me if you know horror stories about Pro This is not so much about the brake, more about dust collection (big priority), with riving knife and table flatness coming in just behind that.

Saw will be 3HP 52". Other than Pro vs. Industrial question (Pro, unless I hear bad things about it), if I pull the trigger, I would like to get everything I need from the get-go. Here's my list of things to get, if I pull the trigger. My questions is, anything to add or take away from this list?

-Saw (duh)
-Spare brake cartridge
-New dado stack
-I vaguely remember a different cartridge for dado stack, but not seeing anything like that -- is there a separate one I need to get?
-Hose adapter, if I need one, for my current overhead DC connection to fit SS guard
-Spare insert for dado stack

I have a home built router table in my PM66, but I'll probably build a separate stand for that.

Thanks all.

Aram I had that same saw for several years and never had any problems at all.  I was surprised how it held it's alignment through a fair amount if use.

The Sawstop PCS mobile base worked just ok to me.  If I buy another SS PCS I'll probably find another solution.  Mobile bases are EASY.

I sold mine after moving to the coast - small garage, needed space.  I have since bought an outside storage shed and the garage has been converted to a WW shop.

I may be buying another one in the near future.
As others have said, if you need mobility, get the ICS mobile base for your PCS (you pay the difference). Day and night between the two mobile bases. You can't find a better mobile base in the market than the ICS base at that kind of price. If you move your saw only occasionally, the default base is fine.

You didn't say much about your overheard dc or your current dc system. One thing that people found out about the sawstop overheard dust collection tube  (not the large one) is that it must be connected to a separate extractor or dc source directly for it to work well. The factory design is poor where the under the table and overhead collection is hooked to one port.

Get the upgraded fence, not the standard one.

Also the dado ZCI if you use dado cutters. Cauliflower(?) sells a ZCI plate and replacement blanks.

If you want to eliminate kickback, get the third party roller guides (forgot the merchant's name and exact product name).

Always easy to help people spend their money.............
Yes

Simon
I was one of the original field testers for the PCS,  and have had it ever since.  I use a normal dust collector for below and above.  I use a Y - and end of the Y that goes above the table is 2 1/2  Woodcraft  that goes into a reducer before it hooks to the dust shroud above the table, and while  a 4 inch hose goes to the below table dust port,  I put a gate in the hose that reduces it to 2 inches or so, to balance out the suction top and bottom.  Works fine for me.   Even if you never have to use the brake, I think you will be impressed with the fit, finish, customer service, manual, and the assembly instructions.  The only thing I thought was pretty basic is the miter fence.
(03-15-2021, 07:16 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: I was one of the original field testers for the PCS,  and have had it ever since.  I use a normal dust collector for below and above.  I use a Y - and end of the Y that goes above the table is 2 1/2  Woodcraft  that goes into a reducer before it hooks to the dust shroud above the table, and while  a 4 inch hose goes to the below table dust port,  I put a gate in the hose that reduces it to 2 inches or so, to balance out the suction top and bottom.  Works fine for me.   Even if you never have to use the brake, I think you will be impressed with the fit, finish, customer service, manual, and the assembly instructions.  The only thing I thought was pretty basic is the miter fence.

The reducer you show is better, but I suspect that even with this improved connector, unless the dust collector hooked to the saw is a powerful one (at least 2 or 3 HP), the overarm dust collection won't be anywhere like the 99% claimed by the company.

Look at the 90 degree factory design port here - https://www.woodcraft.com/products/sawst...n-assembly

I've seen great results when the overarm tube is used with a festool dust extractor directly. The overarm assembly (free; I paid for the ICS base) was a must for me.

Simon
(03-15-2021, 05:38 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: As others have said, if you need mobility, get the ICS mobile base for your PCS (you pay the difference). Day and night between the two mobile bases. You can't find a better mobile base in the market than the ICS base at that kind of price. If you move your saw only occasionally, the default base is fine.

You didn't say much about your overheard dc or your current dc system. One thing that people found out about the sawstop overheard dust collection tube  (not the large one) is that it must be connected to a separate extractor or dc source directly for it to work well. The factory design is poor where the under the table and overhead collection is hooked to one port.

Get the upgraded fence, not the standard one.

Also the dado ZCI if you use dado cutters. Cauliflower(?) sells a ZCI plate and replacement blanks.

If you want to eliminate kickback, get the third party roller guides (forgot the merchant's name and exact product name).

Always easy to help people spend their money.............
Yes

Simon

Thanks to everyone. This is a very informative thread. 

Simon, "Get the upgraded fence, not the standard one." SawStop 220V 3HP 52" Pro seems to come with T Glide Pro fence. Is there a better one than that?

Thanks,
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
With the T glide fence, not the premium one, then you're good.

Simon