Contemplating SawStop, basic questions...
(03-15-2021, 01:13 PM)Aram Wrote: Hi all,

I am contemplating replacing my 1980s PM66 with a SawStop. I gather that for a serious hobbyist, the pro version is plenty of saw (I don't care about the extra depth on Industrial). Correct me if you know horror stories about Pro This is not so much about the brake, more about dust collection (big priority), with riving knife and table flatness coming in just behind that.

Saw will be 3HP 52". Other than Pro vs. Industrial question (Pro, unless I hear bad things about it), if I pull the trigger, I would like to get everything I need from the get-go. Here's my list of things to get, if I pull the trigger. My questions is, anything to add or take away from this list?

-Saw (duh)
-Spare brake cartridge
-New dado stack
-I vaguely remember a different cartridge for dado stack, but not seeing anything like that -- is there a separate one I need to get?
-Hose adapter, if I need one, for my current overhead DC connection to fit SS guard
-Spare insert for dado stack

I have a home built router table in my PM66, but I'll probably build a separate stand for that.

Thanks all.

Here's what I bought with my Pro 3 hp:
Saw (duh)
extra cartridge
dado cartridge
mobile base
an extra insert (needed for dados)

I don't know that I'd buy anything additional right now but you'll need to evaluate what other accessories you might need (want) to get with your set up.

By the way, I have loved using my Saw Stop.  It is solid and well designed.  I don't use any other dust collection other than the hose end at the back of the cabinet.  It might be nice to have the larger over the table dust collection system but I just don't need it.

You might consider joining the SawStop facebook page.  You'll hear from other SS owners and want to be owners.
I would like to know why I would need a lock out, tag out on my own personal saw. If I am doing mantaince on my personal saw and I like to think that I am smart enough not to try and opereate it at the same time.

I can understand it on an indrustral model. It stops anyone from operating the equipment  until the person who put his padalock on, takes his paddlelock off. And that person is the only person that has the key. In industry it is for the maintance persons saftey.

Since I am the only one that uses My saw in My shop I do not see why a lock out tag out features would be a selling point. One basically does the same thing by unpluging the saw.

Tom
You're correct Tom (or, at least I agree with you) the lock out feature isn't needed for a hobbyist. It's (maybe) a little more convenient than unpluggin the saw....but not much.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-21-2021, 03:09 PM)fredhargis Wrote: You're correct Tom (or, at least I agree with you) the lock out feature isn't needed for a hobbyist. It's (maybe) a little more convenient than unpluggin the saw....but not much.

I unplug mine more to protect from electrical surges than for safety...