Blunt chisel technique with Bill Carter
A really good use for an old and otherwise worthless chisel.Shaves the hardest wood like Buttah.
Big Grin .Great for small work...Watch how long it takes for Bill Carter to make one...
Winkgrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re_bp5Lp0To
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Bill is a fountain of knowledge and an amazing craftsman. I have watched many of his videos, but I had not seen this one until you posted it.

I don't remember where, but I have seen this technique before with flat chisels. they were called scraper chisels. It was a major aha moment to see Bill use curved gouges the same way. What a GREAT idea!

TonyC
(03-15-2021, 07:15 PM)ilikewoodinsc Wrote: Bill is a fountain of knowledge and an amazing craftsman. I have watched many of his videos, but I had not seen this one until you posted it.

I don't remember where, but I have seen this technique before with flat chisels. they were called scraper chisels. It was a major aha moment to see Bill use curved gouges the same way. What a GREAT idea!

TonyC
Bill is a fountain of knowledge and an amazing craftsman.

He certainly is that!!!!!!! I love the way Bill explains things...Another good one was the late Jim Kingshott. I think Jim may have passed before Youtube came to be but I do have a couple of his books, one of which is Making and Modifying Woodworking Tools....

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Bill's blunt chisel technique for flat chisels and gouges was shared on his website years ago. Brilliant.

Unlike many modern youtubers and social media content providers, Jim Kingshott presented his materials in a calm, non-flashy manner. No fake enthusiasm or exaggeration, and no pseudo advertising. Just like Tage Frid.

Oh, no annoying background music either.

Simon
When I made a few wooden hand planes, I found that a scraper for lathe turning worked great at removing material and flattening the surface while fitting the iron. Worked better than a float, file, or sharpened chisel. The length of the lathe chisel/scraper helps to get body weight behind and control it.
(03-15-2021, 09:45 PM)Scoony Wrote: When I made a few wooden hand planes, I found that a scraper for lathe turning worked great at removing material and flattening the surface while fitting the iron. Worked better than a float, file, or sharpened chisel. The length of the lathe chisel/scraper helps to get body weight behind and control it.
The polish they can impart to hard wood is very impressive...I have been experimenting with these three old dogs to see what makes them tick...and I have found that a 90 Degree angle works very well...The higher the edge is polished the smoother the finish will be..and they work with or across the grain equally well....I can see lots of uses for them...like in fitting tenons, dovetails, making musical instruments, gunsmithing and as Scoony said, making wood planes, etc...As Bill Carter pointed out, there is no burr involved so the edge can stay sharp a very long time...I am going to grind one into a "skew" soon, to see what effect that will have..I know that when held on an angle, they can sure remove some wood quickly because the edge is also "shearing" and creating long curls of shavings...

[Image: n0-EK8bsf-Rs-WPd9xj-G3-KSc-A.jpg]

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Jack - thanks for sharing.  I was not aware of this technique.

I'm going to try out the tenon-fitting on my next project.  Looks like I should be able to sneak up on the fit with less risk of removing too much stock.
(03-16-2021, 09:29 AM)Chuck in NC Wrote: Jack - thanks for sharing.  I was not aware of this technique.

I'm going to try out the tenon-fitting on my next project.  Looks like I should be able to sneak up on the fit with less risk of removing too much stock.

+1

And I've got a couple or three old chisels without any use just now. Thanks Jack!
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
It seems so logical, but I never would have thought to do that myself.
(03-16-2021, 10:07 AM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: +1

And I've got a couple or three old chisels without any use just now. Thanks Jack!

And BTW...Old worn out files work as a scraper also...I just made one...Grind the striations off one side then square off the end for the win...I see no reason a half-round file would not work just fine if the striations were ground off and the end squared....And I can see where old needle files could be modified and used as "detail" scrapers in cleaning up wood carvings.

I have used worn out files for years as special lathe tools for working metals and wood, and they come in handy for that and lots of other things such special thread chasers, used to repair damaged threads on truck axles and other heavy equipment...Just don't allow them to get so hot when grinding that it draws the temper...also use them for knife making...I just hate throwing them away....
Crazy
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset