Sealing tile
Does it HAVE to be sealed?

I'm wondering about it being slippery when wet.
Need more info what kind of tile where is it located
(03-16-2021, 09:48 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Does it HAVE to be sealed?

I'm not sure that would make a difference in slippery.
(03-16-2021, 09:48 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Does it HAVE to be sealed?

Tile is porous, so is grout. The glaze on the tile may not be porous. You are basically sealing it to prevent staining in wet locations like showers, tub surrounds and backsplashes. You can get away without sealing it if you have great water quality but if there's a question about it, seal it.

I did a built real nice shower in our master bath. Had some well problems and it stained the grout and it can't be cleaned.

When in doubt, seal it. It doesn't make it slippery. It easy to do, just wipe it on.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

New tile is rated for porosity.  If it says it is suitable for outdoor use, it will not absorb water.  If it did, the freeze thaw cycle would cause cracks.

Here is an article discussing the grades of tiles.  It is a long article and very readable.  I have quoted the first paragraph only.

https://www.msisurfaces.com/blogs/post/2...-tile.aspx

Ceramic tile and porcelain tile have much in common in how they are manufactured and used. The main difference is that ceramic tile is made from clay, while porcelain’s main ingredient is finely ground sand. Its manufacturing process also involves pressure and a kiln with extremely high temperatures. This produces a very dense, durable tile. While ceramic tile is porous and needs to be glazed to protect it against moisture, porcelain tile has a water absorption rate of less than 0.5%.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Its porcelain tile. Outdoor setting not exposed to rain.
https://www.rubi.com/us/blog/tiling-on-t...door-tile/

Outdoor tiles often have the appearance of stones, pavement, concrete, decking, or other outdoor elements. But on top of that, the surface of outdoor tile is more textured than indoor tile. This creates a slip-resistant surface that’ll give you, your pets, and your patio furniture traction.

Outdoor tile is also much more durable than indoor tile. They can withstand direct sunlight and harsh weather conditions without getting damaged.
So before you start laying tile in your patio, make sure you have outdoor tile. Otherwise, your hard work won’t last very long.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.