Bench Vise Rehab
A Craftsman Bench Vise, circa early 1960's. It was in need of some TLC:

After a surprising amount of time and work, here is the finished product:

Wow, really well done...love the detail work!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-16-2021, 03:09 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: A Craftsman Bench Vise, circa early 1960's. It was in need of some TLC:

After a surprising amount of time and work, here is the finished product:

If you look up the number on the other side I believe that is a Columbian vise made for Craftsman.  
I have had several may even have a few now.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

That's cool.  What did you do to rehab it?

I have an old red vise, probably the same size.  I think I got it from my dad; he didn't use it much, but it was always there, in the garage.  I've had it for 13-14 years.  I put it on a mounting plate that is clamped in a face vise on my Sjobergs workbench.  I use it a surprising amount; it's almost a permanent fixture right where it is.
Fred: Thanks much!

Bob: Interesting: I will have to check on the model number. Thanks!

Wxman: Ha, this was my Dad's vise and its the one I grew up with: a family heirloom! Rehab consists mainly of sandblasting and priming/painting the painted parts and cleaning/polishing the shiny parts. It was a bit of a process: started in late January, which is not the best time to be spray painting in Connecticut. I know it looks like a Saturday afternoon project, but it does take some significant time to get it right.
Very nice rehab. The color looks sharp especially with the white lettering.
The vise looks great, and I really like the red color. Can you let us know which color that is?

I have tried to paint things "red" before, and unfortunately my selection of "red" has never been the right one...
Steve
Thanks! The lettering was done freehand, so its looks slightly cartoonish, but I think it adds some character.

(03-19-2021, 01:34 AM)wood-chips Wrote: Very nice rehab. The color looks sharp especially with the white lettering.
I searched the web for the color that matched Craftsman Red and came up with a recommendation for this Rustoleum Regal Red. A little less bright, one might say a little more regal
Cool

(03-20-2021, 08:52 AM)arnman Wrote: The vise looks great, and I really like the red color.  Can you let us know which color that is?

I have tried to paint things "red" before, and unfortunately my selection of "red" has never been the right one...
(03-16-2021, 03:09 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: I just love a good bench vise redo. Good on ya.
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/