Cabinet knob
I have not tried turning cabinet knobs yet but have a project perfect to try this with. I am wanting to use some black walnut. I am wondering about the blank. Should it be a single piece of wood or can I laminate 2, 3/4" pieces together? I want the knobs about 1-1/4" in diameter. I am wondering if glueing the blank together looks weird?
With good gluing and proper cure, it should work--question is how long. I think i have a few 1.5" square walnut spindle blanks in the shop, i'll head down in a bit to check. Think i only paid $5 each for 12". Happy to send you one for postage cost if it will help.
earl
If the only stock I had was 3/4", I would laminate 3 pieces together so the attachment screw doesn't land in a glue joint. Most of the outside pieces will be turned away leaving the glue joints pretty much unstressed.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Thank you for the advice and offer. I figure I need to do some practice ones so I thought I would just glue together some free scrap I have. If I don't like it with laminated pieces I can head down to the Woodcraft store that claims they have some walnut stopper blanks that would work.
It might look better to glue four one inch pieces together than have just one glue joint.
make it look good by adding some thin maple between it and should look great
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-17-2021, 12:46 PM)CEPenworks Wrote: Thank you for the advice and offer. I figure I need to do some practice ones so I thought I would just glue together some free scrap I have. If I don't like it with laminated pieces I can head down to the Woodcraft store that claims they have some walnut stopper blanks that would work.

If you do the Woodcraft option, please be aware that many of their turning blanks are green wood with wax coatings to minimize their drying.

I have had good luck ordering from the "got wood?" folks.

I see that they currently have some kiln-dried black walnut on sale in their bargain bin.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
If you keep the face of the knob all in one piece of walnut, it won't be all that bad. It depends on the shape of the knob. A narrow, long knob will expose the glue joints more than a shallow, wide knob.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I finally did a test knob. I took a piece of walnut that was milled to 3/4" I took some and resewed it down the middle then glued those on the outside of a full 3/4" piece. This was all from the same board. This knob is about 1-1/4" diameter. If I look very close I can see where they are glued but it is hard. This one is not finished great but it was only a test. I think I will go this route.

Looks good to me.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.