The consequences of not sanding between coats of poly
(03-23-2021, 09:16 AM)Rob Young Wrote: No it it not. Only the can labeled "SealCoat" will be wax-free.

I thought so too.  But I've been told that the aerosol version is wax-free even if it does not say SealCoat.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I would note that SealCoat was incompatible with PPG's Breakthrough!

It caused crazing.  I used 1-2-3 over Seal Coat for that paint.
(03-26-2021, 09:31 AM)Cooler Wrote: I thought so too.  But I've been told that the aerosol version is wax-free even if it does not say SealCoat.

The aerosol can used to say wax-free but in the past couple of years, the ones I've bought don't seem to say so any more. It sure behaves like a wax-free in that I've not had an issue under a couple different finish types. Could just have been dumb luck though.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
The official Rustoleum page for this product does not mention it being wax-free.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalo...ye-shellac

(03-26-2021, 01:50 PM)Cooler Wrote: The official Rustoleum page for this product does not mention it being wax-free.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalo...ye-shellac

As I said, the label USED to say wax free for the aerosol, but now I can't find that on the label. I wonder about the wax vs. the aerosol part if that is ever an issue. I know I can spray their waxed products with absolutely no issues with a 4-stage turbine sprayer and a 1.0mm N/N set. But that is still a pretty large orifice compared with what appears to be on the aerosol can.

I guess I could just spray a can into a mason jar and let it sit for a week to see if anything settles out to the bottom. That would be the wax as happens in the amber and blonde canned stuff.

Or I can keep pressing my luck and using the aerosol under various finishes. Used it under lacquer, various oil finishes, Polycrylic (Minwax waterborne) and at least one brand of interior latex paint without issues. Unscientific tests of course but, for example, it worked just fine to seal stains under the interior latex without problems going on a few years now. I had this aerosol can and none of the shellac based 1-2-3 on hand so what the heck.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin