How to close off a fireplace for tenants
(03-18-2021, 09:14 AM)daddo Wrote: Personally I would install a horizontal metal bar across the front of the folding doors so they cannot open, then drill and set small one way screws into the rock holding the bar in place. That should block the doors from opening.

You will have to grind the screw heads off to access the fireplace, but that is easy.

Take pictures of the bar blocking the front for proof.

I was thinking a steel cable, but same idea.

It would be 10-12K to fix it.  Tenant moves in 4/1 and we just discovered the issue last week, so no time to fix it
Dumber than I appear
i hope like hell this isnt a gas fireplace youre trying to figger out.
Smile

put an electric fireplace insert in there. dont even wire it up.
or find a pic of a fire. have it printed on vinyl/ put it on wood, install in opening.
(03-18-2021, 08:48 PM)tomsteve Wrote: i hope like hell this isnt a gas fireplace youre trying to figger out.
Smile

put an electric fireplace insert in there. dont even wire it up.
or find a pic of a fire. have it printed on vinyl/ put it on wood, install in opening.

No, it's a wood burner

Heard back from our rental agent.  The renter agreed to not have fires.  Also he's having a lawyer draw up a document the tenant will sign agreeing to no fires.  

That way, if they do and there's damage...it'll be on their nickel, not ours.
Dumber than I appear
Scary part to me would not necessarily be the damage, as that can be repaired, but loss of life,or worse, (eg Carbon Monoxide), not knowing the type of issue that exists.
I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, however, please go "belts & suspenders", with both the signed rental agreement and the incapacitating of the fireplace, so that someone who tries to use it has to really work to do so...
Best of luck with it!
I'd take those two handles off. Cut a piece of 1/2" wide steel, long enough to cover all 4 screw holes. Use the existing holes from the handles and screw the steel piece across the two doors. Use security screws... the Torx screws with the little pin in the middle. Paint it flack black to match.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(03-19-2021, 02:25 PM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: No, it's a wood burner

Heard back from our rental agent.  The renter agreed to not have fires.  Also he's having a lawyer draw up a document the tenant will sign agreeing to no fires.  

That way, if they do and there's damage...it'll be on their nickel, not ours.

Write into the lease that they have to get renter's insurance including fire, naming you as the insured proceeds loss payee.  If the house burns down, the tenants are not likely to have the funds to pay the damages.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis