Motor lacks power
I could use some quick help on troubleshooting an electric motor. Not sure of the type; maybe some help there too. 120 v guessing 3/4 hp. the windings are on the stator, the rotor is basically a smooth cylinder. No brushes nor centrifugal switch for start. It does have a continuously connected capacitor. about 1-1/2" dia. x 5" tall. The motor is on a floor scrubber. the bottom end cap is also the top of a gear housing. Three weeks ago I ordered a replacement and it arrived yesterday with shipping damage to that bottom end cap. I pulled the old motor apart hoping to just swap out that bottom end cap but I think the seal is a one time press in. I didn't dig too far because if I cant save the seal, I probably can't save it on the new one either. Any idea on where there may be a circlip or whatever that's keeping that end cap on?

The motor lacks power and trips out the thermal overload. The rotor does show blue areas indicating some over heating. No nasty smoke smell on the windings though. I didn't have the correct multi-meter to check the cap , but do you think a bad , but still functioning cap can cause these symptoms?

Sorry, I don't have access to either motor right now. I was hoping the supplier could overnight a replacement. They dropped the ball. I need this up and running by Sunday night so any parts need to be ordered in the morning.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Sounds like a permanent split-capacitor (PSC) motor, which has two windings and a capacitor but no centrifugal switch.  The second winding with the capacitor is always in the circuit.  Low power motors are often made this way, especially with multiple speeds, like ceiling fans and the blowers on the outdoor part of A/C units.

Or it’s an induction motor but has a potential relay instead of a centrifugal switch, which is common on RAS’s for instance.  

Can’t help much without see it, though.  Is there a nameplate on it?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(03-17-2021, 06:58 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Sounds like a permanent split-capacitor (PSC) motor, which has two windings and a capacitor but no centrifugal switch.  The second winding with the capacitor is always in the circuit.  Low power motors are often made this way, especially with multiple speeds, like ceiling fans and the blowers on the outdoor part of A/C units.

Or it’s an induction motor but has a potential relay instead of a centrifugal switch, which is common on RAS’s for instance.  

Can’t help much without see it, though.  Is there a nameplate on it?

All I remember is that it's a fasco model 60R55469-105. I couldn't find anything on a Google search. It's for an industrial floor scrubber. Dispenses soap and water, scrubs the floor .vacuums it up.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"