Box Bottom ??
I have been going around the shop trying to use up scraps and pieces of wood for smaller projects, and I had one nice (actually a few more) of wide butternut. 

Chris Becksvoort recently posted a cherry storage box on Instagram, so the idea came from him for this piece of butternut. Dimensions are 16" x 10" x 9.5" tall. I will be using this as a light duty storage box. 

Here is the question: I have to attach a bottom. I could cut/plow the grooves, but the tail boards would require stopped grooves to keep them hidden. I have done them in the past, but thinking about trying something different for this.  

I am thinking about making slips much like drawer slips. I would have to miter them and glue them to the pieces before assembly. I am interested in hearing some of your thoughts on this, or other ideas that I may not be thinking about. 

Nailing the bottom on is not an option. and yes, I could have done mitered DTs, but I didn't.   

Not a biggie..

Miter the ends, to fit into the corners, once the case is squared  and glued up
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
That would actually work. The bottom does not need to be captured and could simply float above the strips.
(03-17-2021, 07:58 PM)Scoony Wrote: That would actually work. The bottom does not need to be captured and could simply float above the strips.

Slips are a nice touch. They make it easier during glue up of the case, because the go on afterwards.  I have used slips a few times, IIRC,  I round the top of the slip so that there is not a ledge between the end of the slip and the bottom.
Ciao,
You do not need stopped grooves if you plan single blind dovetails only at low corners were the bottom is inserted.
If you don't mind trying something new, do through grooves with a plow on all sides and plug the exposed holes. It takes skill (practice?) to match the plugs with the end grain (tails), but I've done that a few times with results that as a picky woodworker, I was extremely happy with. Use hide glue such as old brown glue, not pvc glue.

Note - For this method to work well, cut grooves square. Make sure the cutter is sharp.

I do prefer stopped grooves, when time isn't an issue -- using a chisel and a router plane from start to finish.
Simon
(03-18-2021, 01:31 PM)ac445ab Wrote: Ciao,
You do not need stopped grooves if you plan single blind dovetails only at low corners were the bottom is inserted.

I have done a bunch of mitered DTs. Usually do them when I want nice clean miters, but this box is more utilitarian.
(03-18-2021, 02:53 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: If you don't mind trying something new, do through grooves with a plow on all sides and plug the exposed holes. It takes skill (practice?) to match the plugs with the end grain (tails), but I've done that a few times with results that as a picky woodworker, I was extremely happy with. Use hide glue such as old brown glue, not pvc glue.

Note - For this method to work well, cut grooves square. Make sure the cutter is sharp.

I do prefer stopped grooves, when time isn't an issue -- using a chisel and a router plane from start to finish.
Simon

I had thought of that, just didn't want to plug holes.

I did use hide glue to assemble the box. I also glued on thin walnut slips inside the bottom edge to hold the bottom. Bottom is glued up and in clamps for the night. Should have this box ready for some finish tomorrow.
How about a few through mortise tabs?
(03-18-2021, 05:56 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Slips are a nice touch. They make it easier during glue up of the case, because the go on afterwards.  I have used slips a few times, IIRC,  I round the top of the slip so that there is not a ledge between the end of the slip and the bottom.
Make the 45 degree cuts across the exposed ends of your dadoes.  Then cut matching 45 degree cuts spaced the same distance from the top.  Glue in accent pieces from contrasting wood to highlight the piece.  Trim and sand flush when the glue dries.  
Big Grin 

My memory sucks these days, I can't remember what these reinforcements for the corners are called... 
Big Grin   Getting old isn't for sissies.  Here, they reinforce the corners and hide the dadoes that hold the free floating bottom.  A twofer.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.