Wood substitute needed
The plan calls for yellow heart or mora. I don’t have either.  What would be a good substitute?  I’m making a layered cross as a gift for a neighbor. I’m not familiar with either of those woods.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
I used some yellowheart a number of years ago.  It was straight-grained and a pale/pastel yellow.  If I needed to substitute for it, I might find a light piece of poplar and dye it pale yellow.  Basswood would also be a potential dyed substitute.

Yellowheart description

I had to look up mora in the wood database.  From the pics, I think I might try to substitute a medium brown uniformly-grained piece of walnut.

Mora description
Thanks, the more I look at the pic of the plan the less I see a need for either.  I think your suggestions are great.  Have both popular and tons of walnut.  These are the base pieces of the cross and I'm thinking the poplar undyed would also work.  Since I have yellow Transtint will do a scrap piece and see which I like best.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(03-17-2021, 08:10 PM)stoppy Wrote: The plan calls for yellow heart or mora. I don’t have either.  What would be a good substitute?  I’m making a layered cross as a gift for a neighbor. I’m not familiar with either of those woods.

Yellowheart and Mora are very different colored woods and prices as well.  

Like waxman said use popler and dye it and mora is a brown colored wood and a sub for that would be walnut except mora is so pretty but then again so is a nice piece of walnut
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Those are two very different woods, except that there is such a thing as yellow mora. As a yellow heart substitute, I'd consider osage orange or canary wood.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill