Sjobergs 2500 vice placement question
Hi guys. Buying my first bench.

I've been offered a really good deal on a brand new Sjobergs 2500 bench (1000€ compared to original price of 1400€). This particular model was discontinued by Sjobergs, presumably because their additional clamping platform can give their other benches a similar length. 

I think the vendor I am dealing with has had this for a while and just wants to reclaim their shop floor space (maybe because no-one wants these benches?)

What I've noticed in my research, is that compared to all other Sjobergs benches, the main vice on this bench sits on the outside of the leg frame (to the left in this photo below). All other models, and even many other benches I'm seeing on the web, have the primary vice more or less situated inside the length between the two legs.

Here's the 2500
[Image: 100111-0-jpg.425544]
[b]and here's the 2000 for comparison[/b]
[b][Image: 41xj6peearl-_ac_sx355_-jpg.425545][/b]

Are there any disadvantages to the 2500's vice placement any one can think of that they'd be kind enough to share?

One that comes to mind is that some pieces may struggle to span across to the right leg in order to get a hold fast onto them.

Much appreciated.
The 2500 will provide cleaner space for under-top storage and mass. It also looks longer. If you have workspace, more length is always good.

Even cantilevered vertical loading (small at the legs) benefits your primary work area. Having pounded on solid 18" diameter logs, I appreciated a support boulder under my work.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
I haven’t seen the bench/vise in person, but I’d assume that if you determined the vise placement to be bad, it would still be moveable.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
I have the 2500 and it is absolutely beautiful. I think the vice placement on the 2000 is simply where this room.

My only issue is the square dog holes. I have many wonderful accessories for round dog holes and haven't decided where and how many holes to drill into this.
New? I bought the square dog one when they changed to round holes and Woodcraft had them on clearance. I'd think it was more than 5 years ago.

No complaint about the vise. I was thinking of replacing with an Emmert but not sure it's really strong enough for that.

Rich
"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson
I own a 2500 also. No issues with the vise outside the base. I made my own under bench cabinet. The only issue I have with the bench is the round dog holes are about 1" in diameter, so you will need to drill 3/4" dog holes for standard bench dogs. The bench is a beast - very heavy but also built so that the top is removable (with the help of 2 or 3 of your best friends). I've moved 2x since I bought the bench, so that was handy.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill