lee valley carving chisel-good value?
Lee Valley has a 7 piece carving chisel set for $65.00 .  https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...UR%2C17I4W  I am sure it isn't great, but would it be ok for occasional use by someone who doesn't know anything about carving?  

There are times when some carving chisels would come in handy.  Let's say for a repair of something.  I don't need or want something top dollar, but are these usable, or just bad?

All comments are appreciated.
I have never heard of Lee Valley selling junk. Their return policy is awesome so there is no reason for fear.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I have a few, very few, carving gouges and have been looking to expand for some basic carving capability.  I got the e-mail the other day and being of the same mind as cputnam, I ordered a set.  They're shipping now.

I don't expect them to be Pfeil Swiss Made quality, but if what arrives is serviceable for less than $10/gouge, then I'll be satisfied.  

The last time I took up an offer like this from Lee Valley, I purchased my Narex chisels.  Got the 10-chisel set (1/4" to 2") for $85.  Love them.  They're not Lie-Nielsen, but they are decent quality, and I got all ten of them for not much more than the cost of one L-N.
(03-19-2021, 08:30 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Lee Valley has a 7 piece carving chisel set for $65.00 .  https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...UR%2C17I4W  I am sure it isn't great, but would it be ok for occasional use by someone who doesn't know anything about carving?  

There are times when some carving chisels would come in handy.  Let's say for a repair of something.  I don't need or want something top dollar, but are these usable, or just bad?

All comments are appreciated.
Try them...If they don't live up to your expectations, send them back...They look pretty good to me but how well they hold their edge is more important to me than how they "look". I don't worry about how hard they are to sharpen because diamond hones will handle anything you throw at them..and usually {but not always} the harder the steel, the better they keep a good edge..

Sharpen them to the point that they will cut cross grain and leave a polished surface...if you can't get them that sharp, it's your technique that is at fault..and you will not be happy with any carving tool no matter who makes them.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

You didn't define what great is. Given the stated hardness, the edge should hold and your sharpening skill matters more as Timberwolf said.

Simon
I suspect they are made in China, and I am biased. You get what you pay for; and we all suffer the waste of garbage. 

I have a similar set funneled through Wood Craft that rings the warning bell of "watch for these problems" called out by Chris Pye for each of the pieces I got. You may get a couple 'sorta' usable chisels that the same number of Swiss made (which are good) will provide more pleasant use at the same price.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
Heart 
I  have not used this set, nor the set I have linked below.. But there's an 11 piece set by Flexcut for 101 on Lee Valley too.
That 11 piece set is on sale at Blick for 80.04 . It looks like the same set. That set has a 5 star rating and on the Lee Valley site, they
talk about how it's been hardened.. It just seems like it would be worthwhile to spend $15 more, get more tools and get something
that has been reviewed. In fact, I just ordered a kit myself. There's a code CFDB  for free shipping at Blick

https://www.dickblick.com/items/flexcut-...set-of-11/

The 21 piece flexcut kit is also on sale for 149 (list is about 200)

Note that the 21 piece set has  16 knives. The 11 piece set has 10 knives.. Just wanted people to know since they call it a "piece set".
The 11 piece set is a little bit lower in price per knife. But the 21 piece set has some extra accessories.
The site has other flexcut stuff on sale too.

Plus, it seems from looking around, it seems the Flexcut stuff is made in the USA, if that matters to anyone.
Nothing against the flexcut, but I'm old fashioned. a) I don't like the plastic handle, b) I don't like changing blades; I want to pick up the chisel and use...put it down and pick up another size.....kinda seamlessly. A set also looks a lot more nicer on my bench than in a pouch too.

Simon
(03-20-2021, 01:08 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I suspect they are made in China, and I am biased. You get what you pay for; and we all suffer the waste of garbage. 

I have a similar set funneled through Wood Craft that rings the warning bell of "watch for these problems" called out by Chris Pye for each of the pieces I got. You may get a couple 'sorta' usable chisels that the same number of Swiss made (which are good) will provide more pleasant use at the same price.

I suspect too the set is made in China, though the origin is not given anywhere. I can't speak about its quality but regardless of its origin, I can't think of any reason why it isn't good enough "for occasional use by someone who doesn't know anything about carving."  (underline mine.)

Simon
At less than $10 per chisel, they won't be stellar chisels. I suspect the edge holding on them will be mediocre at best. They are cheaper than Ramelson carving chisels, which I would classify as mediocre. I don't know what occasional use means for you, but it wouldn't take long for the tools to lose their edge and require honing or sharpening.

Keep in mind these are a special buy. You don't usually find their best quality stuff in the special buy category.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill