Help Typing a Stanley #4 C
Photo 
G'day all! I've got a Stanley #4 C and I'm trying to figure out which type this critter is. It has 'No 4" cast into the toe, a moderately high knob and a 'B' cast sideways into the sole just aft of the frog. The lever cap is plain just like the Type 11s and other early Stanleys. The tote has the remnants of the 'Stanley Tools' sticker on the left side. The patina on this thing is uniform so it does not appear to be a Frankenplane.  
Laugh I thought it might be a 12 as it shares some characteristics of the 11s but has no three patent dates which kinda threw me. I wasn't able to find much info snooping around google. 

Thanks for any help! 

Cheers, Bob
Bob Zajicek
Marietta, GA
Owner Czeck Edge Hand Tool
http://CzeckEdge.com

Might go to Hyperkitten.com,  and look up the Plane typing sections....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I'll take a stab at it and guess a type 8 or 9.
(03-20-2021, 11:48 AM)Bob Zajicek Wrote: G'day all! I've got a Stanley #4 C and I'm trying to figure out which type this critter is. It has 'No 4" cast into the toe, a moderately high knob and a 'B' cast sideways into the sole just aft of the frog. The lever cap is plain just like the Type 11s and other early Stanleys. The tote has the remnants of the 'Stanley Tools' sticker on the left side. The patina on this thing is uniform so it does not appear to be a Frankenplane.  
Laugh I thought it might be a 12 as it shares some characteristics of the 11s but has no three patent dates which kinda threw me. I wasn't able to find much info snooping around google. 

Thanks for any help! 

Cheers, Bob

Bob, the decal, if it is on a tote that came with the plane, would be one of the 1930's types.  Does it have a keyhole opening in the lever cap?  That would also be from the 30's.  Some people consider thar era to be the pinnacle of Stanley planes.  Era does not guarantee that your plane is going to be a better performer.
(03-20-2021, 06:40 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Bob, the decal, if it is on a tote that came with the plane, would be one of the 1930's types.  Does it have a keyhole opening in the lever cap?  That would also be from the 30's.  Some people consider thar era to be the pinnacle of Stanley planes.  Era does not guarantee that your plane is going to be a better performer.

Hey Mike! I hope all is well! Thank you for your response! Yeah this one has a keyhole in the lever cap. The slightly higher knob is what made me think it might be a 12+.
Bob Zajicek
Marietta, GA
Owner Czeck Edge Hand Tool
http://CzeckEdge.com