What's your spray set up for....
I'm using an Earlex Sprayport 3 stage.

I spray the prime using a 2.5 tip and still have to thin it or I get splatter. (Target Coatings High Build primer)

With topcoats the 1.3mm. Again, often LOTS of thinning required, depending on paint (I'm usually using Target pigmented lacquer). I go for 30 seconds in a Ford cup.

OTOH I can spray BIN shellac based right out of the can, using my suction feed gun with 2.0 tip it goes on great.

But I was advised by a fellow at Target not to use BIN on MDF particularly if it is not sealed. But I've done it many times with no issues. Target lists BIN as one of their 3 recommended primers, so I don't get it.

I'm going to run out of primer for those with experience can I put BIN shellac based on top? I don't see why not.
(03-20-2021, 04:49 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: I'm using an Earlex Sprayport 3 stage.

I spray the prime using a 2.5 tip and still have to thin it or I get splatter. (Target Coatings High Build primer)

With topcoats the 1.3mm.  Again, often LOTS of thinning required, depending on paint (I'm usually using Target pigmented lacquer).  I go for 30 seconds in a Ford cup.  

OTOH I can spray BIN shellac based right out of the can, using my suction feed gun with 2.0 tip it goes on great.

But I was advised by a fellow at Target not to use BIN on MDF particularly if it is not sealed.  But I've done it many times with no issues.  Target lists BIN as one of their 3 recommended primers, so I don't get it.

I'm going to run out of primer for those with experience can I put BIN shellac based on top? I don't see why not.

I think the issue is that some WB products will craze when applied over shellac.  TC clearly states that in their literature so that's why they probably are advising against using BIN shellac based primer.  I can't think of any other reason because BIN shellac based white primer works great on MDF, and pretty much everything I've put it on.  

You should definitely be able to put the BIN shellac based primer over TC's WB one.  The question is whether the subsequent topcoat will craze.  Do some test pieces.  

John
Thx yeah I've used their pigmented lacquers over BIN and haven't had an issue. Like I said, it is one of the 3 preferred primers they list in their FAQ's.

Its just because I'm going to run out of primer and I've got a whole gallon of BIN sitting there.

I'm also finding there are different MDF's. One batch to the other, the finish, the color and the thickness can be much different.

Makes for some interesting door building ....
I'd be concerned the finish won't look the same over different primers.  That would be OK on different jobs but not on the same one.  

John
(03-21-2021, 03:00 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I'd be concerned the finish won't look the same over different primers.  That would be OK on different jobs but not on the same one.  

John

This.

Used BIN as a spot primer where I'd sanded through some Duralaq and its primer fixing a booboo. Took a couple of coats spraying fresh Duralaq and some feathering/tipping-off to blend it all. The color was different over the BIN. 

Can't tell from a galloping horse on a moonless night. Or with the room lights on. But it took a while.

Wasn't picky enough prepping the bare wood and filling a defect. Lesson learned.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Ordering more TC primer today.

Saving a buck I'll use the BIN on the backs of the lower island panels.