Beautiful figured black walnut crotch bowl
Finishing a 13inch black walnut crotch piece bowl after sanding. Finished with Mylands sanding sealer and General Finish's wood bowl finish. I started this bowl in the summer of 2020 from a tree we cut down on my friends property. Unfortunately, I lost the roughing out footage when I rebuilt my computer so I decided to do a video finishing it since thats when it really comes to life
(03-21-2021, 02:22 PM)mtrainer90 Wrote: Finishing a 13inch black walnut crotch piece bowl after sanding. Finished with Mylands sanding sealer and General Finish's wood bowl finish. I started this bowl in the summer of 2020 from a tree we cut down on my friends property. Unfortunately, I lost the roughing out footage when I rebuilt my computer so I decided to do a video finishing it since thats when it really comes to life

Wow, looks great!                         .
Beautiful bowl and great finish. Thanks for sharing
I recommend sanding with a 2" or 3" pad on a drill while the lathe is running. You can see tiny scratches around the circumference of the bowl, which a glossy finish rather amplifies.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-23-2021, 08:29 AM)AHill Wrote: I recommend sanding with a 2" or 3" pad on a drill while the lathe is running.  You can see tiny scratches around the circumference of the bowl, which a glossy finish rather amplifies.

Once that 240 rotary sanding is complete, sand, by hand, along the grain with the 320/400 and any scratches parallel to the grain will disappear.  Raise once with water and re-sand to eliminate all doubt.  It's cross-grain torn grain which shows through finish, so with the grain makes good sense.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(03-23-2021, 08:29 AM)AHill Wrote: I recommend sanding with a 2" or 3" pad on a drill while the lathe is running.  You can see tiny scratches around the circumference of the bowl, which a glossy finish rather amplifies.

Wow havent posted on here in about a year and look at that, here you are still giving un-wanted "advise" about sanding on every thing any one posts.
(03-23-2021, 04:13 PM)mtrainer90 Wrote: Wow havent posted on here in about a year and look at that, here you are still giving un-wanted "advise" about sanding on every thing any one posts.

Just because I don't post often in the turning forum doesn't mean I'm not an active woodworker.  You can take the advice or ignore it - that's your choice.  I'm just trying to help.  The advice applies to anyone finishing turned work.

BTW, the last post I had in the Woodturning Forum was in Dec 2020, not one year ago.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Again outstanding bowl and video, thanks for sharing!
Bill
(03-24-2021, 06:40 AM)AHill Wrote: Just because I don't post often in the turning forum doesn't mean I'm not an active woodworker.  You can take the advice or ignore it - that's your choice.  I'm just trying to help.  The advice applies to anyone finishing turned work.

BTW, the last post I had in the Woodturning Forum was in Dec 2020, not one year ago.

I have not posted in a year is what I am saying and as soon as I do here you come with your normal criticizing of everyone's projects hidden as "advice" that no one has asked for. Here's a thought, how about instead of sitting behind your desk being a keyboard warrior, you post one of your turning projects so we can all nit pick every single little detail like you do. You have been extremely rude in the past on my posts and I will gladly continue to ignore your free advice I have never once asked for. How about you just do me a favor and don't comment on my posts anymore if you have nothing nice to say.
(03-24-2021, 06:42 AM)Wildwood Wrote: Again outstanding bowl and video, thanks for sharing!

Thank you