Going to Texas
Ahill, I am so glad that you took the time to respond. It sounds as if I triggered some fond memories  and I am happy my trip did that for you. I would have loved to get some mesquite but there was only so much room in the SUV when one has to compete with 2 suit cases and every thing else that needed to come. 

My 2 pieces of Pecan are both live edges so I do not see myself doing anything to then except maybe to shorten them a little and flatten one of them. The wider one is a little cupped.

I am well aware of how Hickory is. I bought a pile of it at and auction. And since I didn't know what to use it for I used it to make my work bench top. I do know that if I order pecan I could get a lot of Hickory in the order because they grade the same. Personally I find Hickory a little unstable and I am not planning on buying anymore even in the far future. 

I am glad I tripped memories and if others would like to share some I would love to read them.

As far as hickory goes I will share my the top of my work bench.

Tom