Question about glue
What is the recommendation for an exterior wood glue that has a longer open time?
(03-21-2021, 05:41 PM)cme4dk Wrote: What is the recommendation for an exterior wood glue that has a longer open time?

Epoxy.  System Three T-88 has an open time of at least 45 minutes.  

John
There is a product called Cascamite that has been around for many years. I know almost nothing about it, but apparently it is water proof and stays usable for 3 hours at 60 deg F; less time as the temp goes up.
(03-21-2021, 08:41 PM)Willyou Wrote: There is a product called Cascamite that has been around for many years. I know almost nothing about it, but apparently it is water proof and stays usable for 3 hours at 60 deg F; less time as the temp goes up.

Cascamite is the same as Dap Weldwood plastic resin glue.  Excellent stuff that's been around for decades.  For cutting boards, I prefer it over anything.  It needs to stay clamped for at least 12 hours at 70 degrees.  Fully cures in 24 hours.  It has a very long open time.

Resorcinol is the long-time favorite of the boat building industry.   It does leave a slightly maroon colored glue line.  Nasty stuff to work with but for outdoor projects, it can't be beat.

I don't trust Titebond III and Gorrilla glue is still an unknown although the label reads promising (like most labels).
I use a lot of Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue for veneer work.  It has a really long pot life, hours, but the open time after spreading is pretty low, less than 15 minutes and probably less than 10 but I forget.  Temperature plays a role, for sure but, as already said, the minimum temperature is 70F.  I've used it to put together exterior doors, but the open time is so short that I switched to epoxy.  

John
Quote:Cascamite is the same as Dap Weldwood plastic resin glue.  Excellent stuff that's been around for decades.  For cutting boards, I prefer it over anything.  It needs to stay clamped for at least 12 hours at 70 degrees.  Fully cures in 24 hours.  It has a very long open time.

The product description for Weldwood says "water resistant". Cascamite claims to be water proof. I've used Weldwood numerous times for interior use. I've never used Cascamite. So, it's just a question?
Glues are ANSI rated type 1 and type 2 (not the Titebond designations). Type 1 are fully waterproof, and the only one I know that is would be resorcinol (I'm not sure epoxy is rated in this way, and I suspect it is waterproof). If it's not waterproof, then it's water resistant. The Weldwood isn't waterproof, but it does (IMHO) have better moisture resistance than the PVA glues. I've used it on outdoor wood when it was painted and had no failures after several years. But if I submerged it (you can submerge resorcinol) it would fail over time.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Woodworker's III has the longest open time of all the Titebond glues.  It is rated outdoors.  You have about 10 minutes to clamp stuff.  It is also their strongest glue.  It is the only one I use; I like the extended open time.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-23-2021, 03:42 PM)Cooler Wrote: Woodworker's III has the longest open time of all the Titebond glues.  It is rated outdoors.  You have about 10 minutes to clamp stuff.  It is also their strongest glue.  It is the only one I use; I like the extended open time.

TB III is really poor at high temperature.  It has half the strength of TB Original or TB II after exposure to 150F, and the loss is permanent. No big deal for indoor work, but it sure is for exterior work that gets sun exposure.  But back to indoor work, TB III creeps, a lot.  You can feel it in the seams of a tabletop glued up with TB III as the wood expands/contracts with the seasons.  You won't feel the seams if you use TB Original or TB II.  I like the long open time but not the creep, so I use TB Original or TB II for interior work now.  For exterior work I use epoxy.  

FWIW, Gorilla Glue is pretty awesome stuff if you can get past the messiness.  Plenty of open time, room temp. strength about the same as TB Original and TB II, twice the strength of either after 150F, doesn't creep, and waterproof to the same level as TB III.  I still prefer TB glues, but I use GG for foam core doors and stress panels because it bonds to foam.  

John
I queried Titbond directly about TB III and John is correct. At 150°F, strength is less than the wood. Further, from [personal experience here in the arid Southwest, open time is somewhere between 1 and 2 minutes at 95°F and 15% RH. Liquid hide glue lasts about 4 - 5 minutes while I believe Weldwood is longer. Epoxy is still the best bet for a long open time and water resistance but even it wealens with heat.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard