Underbench cabinet: final pictures of Stage One
These are final pictures of Stage One. "Stage One" - what does that mean? Well, the first step is to build the cabinet under the bench. The second stage will be to fit out the drawers for the tools. I plan to do some of the latter shortly, and some later. I will post these as they are done. For now, here is the underbench cabinet ...

The rear, before the back was installed ...

[Image: 3.jpg]

The front. The ring pulls are antiqued brass (they are not shiny). I need to work them a little more to remove the still-new look. These were chosen as they drop down and do not project out from the front of the cabinet  ...

[Image: 2a.jpg]

Under the bench ...

[Image: 4.jpg]

The bench top received a little flattening, and a single coat of danish oil ...

[Image: 5.jpg]

Someone is sure to ask why the cabinet is low. The answer is that there needs to be space for hold downs ...

[Image: 9.jpg]

The drawers manage about 90% extension ...

[Image: 6.jpg]

One of the first fit outs will involve this set of Kiyohisa bench chisels I have been collecting one-by-one (these are no longer available) ...

[Image: 7.jpg]

And here is one of the small drawers ...

[Image: 8.jpg]

Thanks for supporting the build to date. Hopefully there were some aspects that will prove helpful.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Looking really good Derek. I'm curious, how thick are the drawer sides?
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
John, the sides are 1/4” thick. The wood is quarter sawn Tasmanian Oak (which is a Eucalyptus).

Why do you ask?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Beautiful, as usual, Derek.  I am a huge fan of "underbench cabinets".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Fantastic, Derek. Thanks again for sharing. I look forward to your fit out process.
(03-22-2021, 12:27 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: One of the first fit outs will involve this set of Kiyohisa bench chisels I have been collecting one-by-one (these are no longer available) ...

Looks nice.
What is your storage goal for this space (as opposed to the tools on the wall over the bench)?

Matt
(03-22-2021, 12:27 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: These are final pictures of Stage One. "Stage One" - what does that mean? Well, the first step is to build the cabinet under the bench. The second stage will be to fit out the drawers for the tools. I plan to do some of the latter shortly, and some later. I will post these as they are done. For now, here is the underbench cabinet ...

The rear, before the back was installed ...

[Image: 3.jpg]

The front. The ring pulls are antiqued brass (they are not shiny). I need to work them a little more to remove the still-new look. These were chosen as they drop down and do not project out from the front of the cabinet  ...

[Image: 2a.jpg]

Under the bench ...

[Image: 4.jpg]

The bench top received a little flattening, and a single coat of danish oil ...

[Image: 5.jpg]

Someone is sure to ask why the cabinet is low. The answer is that there needs to be space for hold downs ...

[Image: 9.jpg]

The drawers manage about 90% extension ...

Derek, really nice work, but is there enough room for the drawers to expand? Or is seasonal movement negligible where you are?
The final box turned out great! I really enjoyed following this build on your site.

I've been planning to build a tool chest like this for some time and following your build along series has really inspired me to get started... unfortunately it won't be for a few months or maybe not until fall/winter.

Again, awesome tool chest and thanks for the detailed build-along.
Big Grin
A wise man once said, "All woodworkers make mistakes. A good woodworker can hide them."
(03-22-2021, 10:46 PM)robmaz Wrote: Derek, really nice work, but is there enough room for the drawers to expand? Or is seasonal movement negligible where you are?

We have rain in the Winter only and the Summer lasts close to 9 months of the year. So very little humidity. What little humidity we do have tends to occur one or two days each year. I expect that the drawers will continue to move as smoothly as they do at present. 

Regards from Perth

Derek
(03-22-2021, 08:59 PM)mdhills Wrote: Looks nice.
What is your storage goal for this space (as opposed to the tools on the wall over the bench)?

Matt

Matt, I plan to move as much off the wall behind the bench as possible, along with items that are used frequently, such as gauges, square, chisels, and the like. Planes and saws remain in their cabinets.

The aim is to reduce clutter and prepare for a home move in a few years time.

Regards from Perth

Derek