What do you use to clean and protect lathe ways??
The ways on my 3520 are in nearly pristine condition so I'd like to keep them that way. Wondering what you guys use to prevent rust and lubricate for banjo/tailstock movement? In the past I've used WD-40 to clean and then Johnson's paste wax after wipe down of the WD which has worked OK, just wondering if there's a better solution.

Thanks,  g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I am in the Johnson's Original Paste Wax camp for the protection and maintenance of the ways.
If you buy the Johnson's Paste Wax in the floor wax section (and it does not say "Original"), then it has the OSHA-mandated non-slip additives. You want the Original version sold in the furniture wax section.

WD-40 is not a great choice for cleaning (or lubricating) despite many people using it for both. It is a Water-Displacement (the 40th formula tested (hence, the WD-40 name)) material developed to inhibit rust on clean iron/steel. Once it dries, some of its ingredients can actually encourage galling.

If you have light surface rust, then Autosol and a paper towel is a good cleaner.

If you have tree sap or a finish stuck to the steel, then you want a cleanser specifically for the crud or just some wet paper towels. Let dry thoroughly and then wax.

Be sure that you move the banjo, tailstock, and headstock (if applicable) back and forth during cleaning and drying to be sure that none of the liquids wicked in underneath without getting dried off.

If you are wet-sanding plastic on the lathe, be sure that the ways are dried off thoroughly at the end of the day. I know a couple that had some "discussions" about that issue. She did not always dry off the ways after turning plastic pens and he would find the surface rust when he went to turn the next day.
No
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Johnson's Paste Wax for me too. I lube the gears per the manufacturer's recommendations. As required, I'll take my chuck(s) and jaws, soak them in a cleaner, and reassemble them. Cap'n Eddie had a good video on that a few years ago. There are at least a dozen YouTube videos on chuck cleaning, lube, and maintenance.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Johnson's Paste Wax

(03-24-2021, 04:58 PM)iclark Wrote: I am in the Johnson's Original Paste Wax camp for the protection and maintenance of the ways.
If you buy the Johnson's Paste Wax in the floor wax section (and it does not say "Original"), then it has the OSHA-mandated non-slip additives. You want the Original version sold in the furniture wax section.

After trying several ways I now do it this way all the time.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
That way oil is for metal lathes, very different than wood lathes.
Thanks guys. I've never hears of Autosol but will give it a try, there are a couple small rust spots that don't clean up with WD and scotchbrite. Will continue with Johnson's.

Thanks again, g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(03-25-2021, 02:31 PM)charliez Wrote: That way oil is for metal lathes, very different than wood lathes.

That may be but I've used it for years without issue
I recommended the ways oil for several years and use it once in a while if i am doing wet wood and still have part of a bottle.  I found wax lasts as long and waxes the headstock, tailstock and bango at the same time while moving them around and the Ways Oil works great on top of it for wet wood and then wipe all of it off after the wet turnings.

Like double protection
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.