Sheetrock Repair ?
(03-25-2021, 04:47 PM)KC Wrote: isn't it a 'rule of sheetrock' to not have a joint above the door?  Moot point I guess... but curious.

I don't do it but it happens all the time. If you ever read manufactures recommendations on their websites, it will usually recommend splicing two studs away from the door when possible. If the door is in a corner of a room, usually the cracks appear on the corner furthest from the closest intersecting wall.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(03-26-2021, 06:41 AM)brianwelch Wrote: I think above a door is okay, just not at any right angle openings, as at the corners at a door or window opening. Stresses struggle in navigating 90 degree angles and tend to cause failures. Take a look at almost any square opening in a concrete sidewalk.

The building codes 23 years ago in this county were rather weak. My builder said that he never saw anyone from the county during the entire build. I'm very glad he was a thorough and honest builder.
Jim
Look for Fibafuse tape, if you can find it.