Sheetrock Repair ?
My house is about 23 years old and I'm preparing to paint the walls . Over one of the interior doorways it looks like it's cracking apparently where 2 pieces of SR are joined. Can I just use spackling to repair it. I'm guessing I should sand, put tape on it and then spackle, etc. Am I right?

Also. I started repairing a hole in the wall close to a bathroom door. So I cut a 4 X 4 patch, traced it to the wall and couldn't cut with a keyhole saw. Come to find out 6" from the framing for the door are studs stacked together. I can't imagine why the would use so many studs. This is a load bearing wall and the contractor was a very good one. Is this over kill? Just wondering. 

Jim
Jim
Could be the framing around the door is a header?

Just cut the drywall out with a utility knife and put the patch in.

If you want crack repairs to hold, they should be taped.
If you don't tape it, it will  just crack again.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If the house is moving (causing cracks at the door), they sometimes reappear.  They make an “elasticized” repair kit.

I had good results with a recurring ceiling crack that formed at the intersection of truss members in the the attic whenever we had a significant snow.  After repairing every couple of years, the elasticized stuff had enough give to “weather” the snow loads, including a 14” storm followed by another 6” a couple of days later. It was still holding after about seven years when we sold that house.  Alas, I am old and can’t remember the brand name.  A google search should yield some products, though.
As stated above, tape will help prevent it from cracking again. I have had good luck with the fiber-mesh tape, and there is now fiber reinforced spackle/"mud" as well...several thin coats will provide you with a better job...
Good luck.
Thanks folks! I'm taking your suggestions and going use to elastic tape

Jim
Jim
isn't it a 'rule of sheetrock' to not have a joint above the door?  Moot point I guess... but curious.
Usually a crack like that indicates a structural issue of some sort; like srv52761 had. Go ahead and repair it, but watch it to see if it happens again. If it does, I would hire a professional inspector to check it out for foundation settlement or some other concern. Or, get a jump on it and have it inspected now.
(03-25-2021, 04:47 PM)KC Wrote: isn't it a 'rule of sheetrock' to not have a joint above the door?  Moot point I guess... but curious.

I think above a door is okay, just not at any right angle openings, as at the corners at a door or window opening. Stresses struggle in navigating 90 degree angles and tend to cause failures. Take a look at almost any square opening in a concrete sidewalk.
(03-25-2021, 11:11 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: My house is about 23 years old and I'm preparing to paint the walls . Over one of the interior doorways it looks like it's cracking apparently where 2 pieces of SR are joined. Can I just use spackling to repair it. I'm guessing I should sand, put tape on it and then spackle, etc. Am I right?

Also. I started repairing a hole in the wall close to a bathroom door. So I cut a 4 X 4 patch, traced it to the wall and couldn't cut with a keyhole saw. Come to find out 6" from the framing for the door are studs stacked together. I can't imagine why the would use so many studs. This is a load bearing wall and the contractor was a very good one. Is this over kill? Just wondering. 

Jim

That's really the best way to do it. The corners above the doors and windows are the most likely areas to crack due to settlement. Taping adds strength. Mud alone adds no strength and will probably crack again soon. .
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay