Planer/Jointer cutter head bearing worth going expensive?
I recently purchase a byrd head and was thinking of putting on new bearings when I install it.  Is it worth the going with a higher end brand at 4-5 times the cost? Each bearing would be around $40 so not insignificant.  Thoughts?  Should I even bother getting new bearings?

Any thoughts on skf brand?  Totally unfamiliar with beating brands
When I installed the Byrd head on my delta planer I replaced the bearings. If I remember right I used SKF bearings. After spending that kind of money on a up grade I would not want to take a chance with a bearing manufacture I haven't heard of. I am sure there are good bearings by non-name brand companies.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I would definitely install new bearings, and I'd probably go with the upgraded bearings. When I bought a Byrd head for my DJ-20, IIRC they had only one choice of bearings, and I think they were more in the range of $15 each (I could be completely wrong on that: it was many years ago). I had no issues with these more pedestrian bearings. Having said that: it is amazing to see the action of quality bearings. Just picked up a used Baldor bench grinder the other day. Zero vibration when running at 3600 RPM. When you shut it off, it just keeps spinning and spinning and spinning. Same with a Leeson motor on my dust collector: just keeps spinning when you shut it down. Summary: get new bearings, and get the better ones if you are feeling flush.
Thanks for the reply. One of the heads will also on a DJ-20 jointer. The place I got the bearings from suggested Timken of Nachi. I'll make a few more calls to a couple local suppliers today. So far though it seems like no one has those 2 brands in stock and would take a week or so to get but they can get an SKF bearing the next day. Anyway if you guys are experienced with those brands I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks
My $0.02 - get good quality bearings from a name brand supplier but you don’t need high spec bearing.

You’re going to spend a couple, possibly several, hours installing new bearings, How much do you want to risk doing that work twice?

Also good bearings will run for 20 years..pretty cheap amortized that way.

Timkin , SKF, Nachi, NTN, NSK all good brands

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Thanks again. Just placed an order for the skf.
Lets work this through. 
Is the bearing going to subjected to high static loads? Nope
Is the bearing going to have high axial loading? No, the head is supported on each end.
Is there a need for highly precise ball to race fit? No, it is a woodworking machine working in thousands range not tens of thousandths or microns.
Is the bearing going to work in a high or low heat environment? Nope.
Does the bearing need to cope with high RPMs? Nope
Is it a pain to remove and replace the bearing should it get worn? Yes, go with a quality bearing.

The SKF you installed should work perfectly for a long time. Good choice
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Curious for those who replaced bearings - why?

were the OEM bearing old?  Is there some reason to think that a hobbiest could wear out the bearings on a piece of equipment designed to run in a production environment?
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
(04-05-2021, 12:54 PM)FireWood Wrote: Curious for those who replaced bearings - why?

were the OEM bearing old?  Is there some reason to think that a hobbiest could wear out the bearings on a piece of equipment designed to run in a production environment?

I replaced mine because the old ones didn't come off nicely.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"