Edge sander won't start
I went to use my Delta 6 x 108 edge sander and it won't turn on. Opened the starter box which is the same as the Grizzly G4573 and if I press the on button I read current in the terminal below the on button as well as both screws in the thermal overload. All the wires look fine and the motor works if I manually press in and hold the contractor in the middle.

The trip indicator isn't on and I pressed the reset button.

Hasn't had much use. Why would the magnetic coil not engage?

Thanks,
Rich

Attached Files Image(s)

"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson
(03-25-2021, 10:08 PM)richtes Wrote: I went to use my Delta 6 x 108 edge sander and it won't turn on. Opened the starter box which is the same as the Grizzly G4573 and if I press the on button I read current in the terminal below the on button as well as both screws in the thermal overload. All the wires look fine and the motor works if I manually press in and hold the contractor in the middle.

The trip indicator isn't on and I pressed the reset button.

Hasn't had much use. Why would the magnetic coil not engage?

Thanks,
Rich

Is the rheostat on the thermal overload protector set for the fully loaded amps on the motor plate? 

John
(03-26-2021, 09:15 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Is the rheostat on the thermal overload protector set for the fully loaded amps on the motor plate? 

John

Yes. Looks OK. This is the original factory switch.

When I press the start button nothing happens. Not a peep. The electromagnet never activates nor sounds like it even tried.

Pushing the contractor to run manually it seems perfectly fine. 

I didn't try pressing the on button after getting it running to see if it keeps running. Doubt it will.

Rich
"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson
With the machine unplugged, do you have physical access to see the relay contacts or the relay coil?

Do you unplug the machine when it is not in use? If not, do you know of any nearby lightning strikes?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Have you checked for dust in the switch? May pay to blow it out with air.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-26-2021, 07:29 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Have you checked for dust in the switch? May pay to blow it out with air.

+1 on blowing it out.  Make sure the stop button is not stuck in from the dust.  Roly
your coil on the contractor is most likely bad, cost about $10 or so  , easy to change out.
Check and tighten the wires, especially all the small ones, and often from the factory.  It’s not unusual at all for them to be loose.  If any one of them is not properly connected, the latching circuit won’t energize the coil to hold the contactor in. Pushing the Stop button breaks that circuit, but any break in the latching circuit does the same thing.

Someone here had the same problem some months ago, and that’s all it was in fact.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(03-27-2021, 08:49 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Check and tighten the wires, especially all the small ones, and often from the factory.  It’s not unusual at all for them to be loose.  If any one of them is not properly connected, the latching circuit won’t energize the coil to hold the contactor in.  Pushing the Stop button breaks that circuit, but any break in the latching circuit does the same thing.

Someone here had the same problem some months ago, and that’s all it was in fact.

When I got all my stuff from grizzly i did that the first thing and some were lose.  The inside case does not even look dusty but some low pressure to blow it out would not hurt.
I seen on one machine I bought the wire was not even put in all the way and was not connected so check that to.  These are the cheap fixes and if they do not work then you will have to spend some $$
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.