Powermatic 64A - should I upgrade?
(04-01-2021, 10:15 PM)Hank Knight Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 01:04 PM)Cian Wrote: Don't want to start yet another food fight, but the SawStop technology will not prevent a kickback.

Cian, I didn't mean to suggest that the SawStop technology prevents kickback, although the SawStop riving knife (that was not available on any other American machine when I bought my SawStop) certainly helps prevent kickback. I have been using tablesaws for more than 50 years without a single mishap. My kickback was a wake-up call. It told me that no matter how careful I am, I am still vulnerable to an accident. I was lucky, I only got a serious bruise. It could have been much worse and cost me fingers or a hand, or worse. The SawStop technology was designed to prevent those kinds of catastrophic accidents. I opted for that insurance against a future mishap.

Another consideration is that as we get older we may not be as attentive as we once were and it only takes a moment's inattention to alter your life. If you're going to spend substantial $$$ anyway, it might well be worthwhile to spend a few more $$ and go SawStop. Everyone is different and if you're honest with yourself, you'll make the correct decision.

I started with a Craftsman 113.xxxx contractor saw, soon upgraded the fence and when I at Grizzly (when they were still in PA) they had a G1023 for less than $700 (mid '90s) The upgrade was well worth it to me, things are just more substantial. I did add an aftermarket Delta splitter which works reasonably well but it's not a riving knife.
Now on to the more pressing matter:
How to get it in your shop?

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND PAYING TALENT TO HELP YOU. Call a Piano moving team. They'll charge more than you want to spend. Pay them.