[Beatles] Quando para mucho mi a More Ray... Medullary
With apologies to the Beatles'  "Sun King"...

I want to make a very small box, and with small boxes comes the need for fine grain.

Last year's  " 'He mocks me,' Boards were heard to say" project used some very nice QS oak:

I wanted to get some of those medullary rays into a small project.   The remaining lumber was minimal, but we're now off to a start:

Resawing thin wood activity:

Gluing up wider mini-planks,  flattening with a Holm Oak French plane with a few rays of its own...

Until the rays converge...
Chris
Man, what a long week at work, and I was itching to get back to the wood bench the whole time.
Still I didn't have a lot of time, but I decided to do the "dovetails before dinner" quick work routine.

The nice DT marking gauge is custom-made from Mike Brady
Smile

Chris
It did go pretty quick after that.  Not only with the nice gauge from Mike, but also by ganging boards when I cut the tails.

Later I rabbeted a basic chamfered top pine/fir piece to fit, and did a bit of "schmutz and shellac" for a finish.... Ready to hold small trinkets!

Chris
(04-03-2021, 10:56 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: It did go pretty quick after that.  Not only with the nice gauge from Mike, but also by ganging boards when I cut the tails.

Later I rabbeted a basic chamfered top pine/fir piece to fit, and did a bit of "schmutz and shellac" for a finish.... Ready to hold small trinkets!

Glad you found it usefull Chris.  Those recent projects are excellent.
Nice box although I am surprised you found white oak to be "fine grain". I think of that as what Hoadley called "diffuse porous" like fruitwoods or maple. Either way, it does make a fine looking box!
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure