[Beatles] Quando para mucho mi a More Ray... Medullary

With apologies to the Beatles'  "Sun King"...

I want to make a very small box, and with small boxes comes the need for fine grain.

Last year's  " 'He mocks me,' Boards were heard to say" project used some very nice QS oak:

I wanted to get some of those medullary rays into a small project.   The remaining lumber was minimal, but we're now off to a start:

Resawing thin wood activity:

Gluing up wider mini-planks,  flattening with a Holm Oak French plane with a few rays of its own...

Until the rays converge...
Chris
  Re: [Beatles] Quando para mucho mi a More Ray... Medullary by C. in Indy (With apologies to th...)
Man, what a long week at work, and I was itching to get back to the wood bench the whole time.
Still I didn't have a lot of time, but I decided to do the "dovetails before dinner" quick work routine.

The nice DT marking gauge is custom-made from Mike Brady Smile

Chris
  Re: [Beatles] Quando para mucho mi a More Ray... Medullary by C. in Indy (With apologies to th...)
It did go pretty quick after that.  Not only with the nice gauge from Mike, but also by ganging boards when I cut the tails.

Later I rabbeted a basic chamfered top pine/fir piece to fit, and did a bit of "schmutz and shellac" for a finish.... Ready to hold small trinkets!

Chris
  Re: RE: [Beatles] Quando para mucho mi a More Ray... Medullary by C. in Indy (It did go pretty qui...)
(04-03-2021, 10:56 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: It did go pretty quick after that.  Not only with the nice gauge from Mike, but also by ganging boards when I cut the tails.

Later I rabbeted a basic chamfered top pine/fir piece to fit, and did a bit of "schmutz and shellac" for a finish.... Ready to hold small trinkets!

Glad you found it usefull Chris.  Those recent projects are excellent.
Nice box although I am surprised you found white oak to be "fine grain". I think of that as what Hoadley called "diffuse porous" like fruitwoods or maple. Either way, it does make a fine looking box!
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure