Strongest joint solution for stool with 2 legs
Hi!

Im very new to working with wood and have a question regarding this stool with two legs that is my first project. Im working with 28mm thick pine.

Here is a quick drawing

[Image: stool.jpg]
Im thinking that this design will demand a very strong joint solution

Thankful for any help!

Kind regards, Andy
OK if it were a welded metal stool, but the design as is won't be good enough for an adult or even a child.  A dowel or M&T/floating tenon joint is possible for a light duty purpose (a plant stand, say).

Simon
I'd consider a finger joint with 1/4" spacing for lots of surface area to transfer the shear load.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
You might have a look at the variety of renditions of Gerrit Rietveld's Zig Zag Chair. They have been joined with either dovetails, box joints, or brass machine screws with nuts. There is typically a reinforcing piece on the inside of the corners. These chairs have been around for a long time and there are still original ones available. A friend of mine built a nice example from cherry a few years ago. It doesn't look like it is strong enough to support an adult but it does. I found it quite nice to sit in. I expect you could make something like you're envisioning work with decent joinery.
DaveR1 ,

Look again at the sketch. The one your friend built must have a different structure because the op's has no apron/top rail under the seat. No joinery could support the seat based on those two single legs.

Not to mention that it's pine.

Simon
Andy, I agree with some of the above comments, that just isn't going to work as a stool. The design needs some changes or it needs to be a metal frame.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-28-2021, 11:32 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: DaveR1 ,

Look again at the sketch. The one your friend built must have a different structure because the op's has no apron/top rail under the seat. No joinery could support the seat based on those two single legs.

Not to mention that it's pine.

Simon

Look at the chair I mentioned. Plenty of examples out there. Maybe you should have told Rietveld that his Zig Zag chair it wouldn't work because it has no apron under the seat. I bet he would have appreciated it.
I'm familiar with the zig zag design, the op's is nowhere near that in structural strength. A z-z chair usually includes some reinforcement (corner strip) on the inside corners.

It's pretty easy for the op to check if his design would work - build a prototype with scrap wood, which we chair makers often do for a new design, or google and see if he could find an example of a wooden stool constructed that way.

PS - No need to build the whole stool, just the joint and clamp it in a vise......and put a load on it until it breaks.

Simon
You would be wise to chose something else for your first project.  What looks simple is in fact not.  You will need very well fitted finger joints and, unless it's for a child, likely thicker stock of a different species.  

John
if i were to do this, id look into doing steam bent laminated legs.