Material Planning Software for House
I'd like to play around with planning for materials for a future house build.
Any recommendations on a particular house planning software?
Looking for something that I can use to draw out floor plans and create a takeoff list from that with total cost.
thanks
Ray
I've been using Chief Architect. Pricy but it's easy to learn the basics. There are a lot of on-line training videos. I suggest you learn "setting defaults" before you spend a lot of time on you plans, but you can easily start right away drawing walls, placing doors, windows, cabinets, furniture, and even hanging a framed picture of your parent's wedding day on the wall. It will automatically draw the framing to be viewd in 2d or 3d and give you a complete stock list of everything needed to construct. There is a Student version that you might be able to use.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(03-30-2021, 10:33 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: I've been using Chief Architect. Pricy but it's easy to learn the basics. There are a lot of on-line training videos. I suggest you learn "setting defaults" before you spend a lot of time on you plans, but you can easily start right away drawing walls, placing doors, windows, cabinets, furniture, and even hanging a framed picture of your parent's wedding day on the wall. It will automatically draw the framing to be viewd in 2d or 3d and give you a complete stock list of everything needed to construct. There is a Student version that you might be able to use.

Thanks! Yeah, that is pricey, but geared to service a pro level that is not me. BUT there is a basic/DIY version for $99 on Amazon. That will most likely be what I'm looking for.
Ray
(03-30-2021, 10:33 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: I've been using Chief Architect. Pricy but it's easy to learn the basics. There are a lot of on-line training videos. I suggest you learn "setting defaults" before you spend a lot of time on you plans, but you can easily start right away drawing walls, placing doors, windows, cabinets, furniture, and even hanging a framed picture of your parent's wedding day on the wall. It will automatically draw the framing to be viewd in 2d or 3d and give you a complete stock list of everything needed to construct. There is a Student version that you might be able to use.

I also use Chief Architect. It really isn't that expensive considering the other packages on the market. The lesser priced options don't do some things... like let you modify roof attributes such as overhangs... you can't make an overhang on ones side of the house different from another side and you can't notch an eave. But if you are looking for the basics and a basic material list it will do it. Also, windows, doors etc are limited. You can't install windows with angles other than 90 degrees. To do this, you will have to either upgrade to a more expensive offering or buy these add-ons.

But, basic walls, foundations and roofing, it works very well for the $$

This is Chief Architect basic (my kitchen)

[Image: lT5n9ae.jpg]

[Image: tI7Dtg8.jpg]

[Image: UWZump0.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(04-01-2021, 05:29 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I also use Chief Architect. It really isn't that expensive considering the other packages on the market. The lesser priced options don't do some things... like let you modify roof attributes such as overhangs... you can't make an overhang on ones side of the house different from another side and you can't notch an eave. But if you are looking for the basics and a basic material list it will do it. Also, windows, doors etc are limited. You can't install windows with angles other than 90 degrees. To do this, you will have to either upgrade to a more expensive offering or buy these add-ons.

Thanks! Yeah, just the basics for my purposes.
Ray
(04-01-2021, 05:29 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I also use Chief Architect. It really isn't that expensive considering the other packages on the market. The lesser priced options don't do some things... like let you modify roof attributes such as overhangs... you can't make an overhang on ones side of the house different from another side and you can't notch an eave. But if you are looking for the basics and a basic material list it will do it. Also, windows, doors etc are limited. You can't install windows with angles other than 90 degrees. To do this, you will have to either upgrade to a more expensive offering or buy these add-ons.

This is Chief Architect basic (my kitchen)

[Image: lT5n9ae.jpg]

[Image: tI7Dtg8.jpg]

[Image: UWZump0.jpg]
You forgot to route four can lights! And don't forget to cut for the heat duct in front of the sink before you lay hardwood.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(04-01-2021, 11:25 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: You forgot to route four can lights! And don't forget to cut for the heat duct in front of the sink before you lay hardwood.

No can lights, all LEDs in the ceiling. You can see 2 over the sink and two behind that ceiling fixture. A total of 11 plus the fixture you see.

There was a wall right in front of Murphy. You can see where two returns came through the floor. I had to box out the wall on the left there to move the return. The supplies are now under the cabinets with registers in the toe-kick. I didn't want them in the floor, particularly right in front of the sink.

[Image: yOWF0tz.jpg]

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Aaaaand another one

... Kizar Sosay

(04-20-2021, 11:14 AM)Dination Wrote: It's fantastic that in our time there are such services. I always suffered from the fact that I did not have time to clean up the office.

BAM !!!

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-am...f=1&nofb=1]
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]