coping crown molding
I've mitered and coped crown molding in the  past (and hated the coping process).  It was slow and tedious and I had to dress the cope with a file to get it just right.

I'm sure you are all familiar with the process.

This pretty much spells out the process: 
[Image: _kDDihhhE6Rtj42oMSiCZiEFAgoI7iY3kcwI425P...Gc9fQ9ENWo]

But my latest foray in this process used no coping saw.  I saw a video where a right angle grinder was used.  So I bought flap wheel (40 grit) for my angle grinder.

Something like this:

[Image: b2d1dddb-b426-48b2-a8df-29beeb0a640a.jpg]
I had to approach the line slowly but after a couple of practice pieces this went quickly and accurately.  The 40 grit cut very fast and left a satisfactory edge.  If you are heavy handed, then try  something with a finer grit.  I can't imagine anyone would need something coarser. 

In any case I recommend you try it.  I cut with the leading edge and the trailing edge depending upon the angle.  I also switched hands for some of the angles.  (I am not truly ambidextrous but there are several tasks that I can use either hand, so this was not difficult for me.

This video shows the process, though this guy is just using a sheet of sandpaper and not the flap disc.  I think the flap disc gives more control.  Start watching at the 2 minute mark.  He pretty much gets the thing coped in about 30 seconds.  I did not time my efforts but it seemed about right to me.

This guy finished up with a file.  I did not.  A little silicone caulk made my work look 100%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrGyM4e4GtM
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks,  I don't mind coping, though it does take a while and the results are so so.  This method seems much quicker.  After I looked at the video you linked to,  I found this one, at minute 4 he uses a flap disk,  and that seems extremely quick.   coping with flap disk
(03-30-2021, 03:15 PM)Cooler Wrote: I've mitered and coped crown molding in the  past (and hated the coping process).  It was slow and tedious and I had to dress the cope with a file to get it just right.

I'm sure you are all familiar with the process.

This pretty much spells out the process: 
[Image: _kDDihhhE6Rtj42oMSiCZiEFAgoI7iY3kcwI425P...Gc9fQ9ENWo]

But my latest foray in this process used no coping saw.  I saw a video where a right angle grinder was used.  So I bought flap wheel (40 grit) for my angle grinder.

Something like this:

[Image: b2d1dddb-b426-48b2-a8df-29beeb0a640a.jpg]
I had to approach the line slowly but after a couple of practice pieces this went quickly and accurately.  The 40 grit cut very fast and left a satisfactory edge.  If you are heavy handed, then try  something with a finer grit.  I can't imagine anyone would need something coarser. 

In any case I recommend you try it.  I cut with the leading edge and the trailing edge depending upon the angle.  I also switched hands for some of the angles.  (I am not truly ambidextrous but there are several tasks that I can use either hand, so this was not difficult for me.

This video shows the process, though this guy is just using a sheet of sandpaper and not the flap disc.  I think the flap disc gives more control.  Start watching at the 2 minute mark.  He pretty much gets the thing coped in about 30 seconds.  I did not time my efforts but it seemed about right to me.

This guy finished up with a file.  I did not.  A little silicone caulk made my work look 100%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrGyM4e4GtM

I spent probably 4 hours one day trying to do that with a very simple profile... and can.not.do.it.  
No  It's a failure I've learned to accept.
I think I'll stick with my coping saw. The trouble most people have with coped crown is installing it at exactly the same angle as it was cut. I make a couple of jigs (that are just a small scrap board with a corner cut out) to reference where the crown should hit the wall and ceiling. (not necessarily referencing from where the wall meets the ceiling) I use one to mark the wall elevation; the other one gets attached to a stick to pin it against the wall and ceiling near one end of the crown. I slip one end in the hole and start nailing the other. I install crown and base after the walls and ceilings are painted and the hardwood is down, so it's not uncommon for me to cut outside. It's also not too uncommon that I bring 4 pieces of crown and 6-8 pieces of base into a room and they all fit. (When I trim windows, I have to have my chop saw and T.S. an arms length away.)
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(03-30-2021, 06:14 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Thanks,  I don't mind coping, though it does take a while and the results are so so.  This method seems much quicker.  After I looked at the video you linked to,  I found this one, at minute 4 he uses a flap disk,  and that seems extremely quick.   coping with flap disk

I like his method a little better than what I did.  I first approached the line with about a 30 degree angle and then went back and increased the angle to 45 degrees.  I see he starts out at the 45 + degree angle.  I will try that next. 

For me, this was not only faster but more accurate.  I guess it depends on your type of manual dexterity and your patience.  This is quick and it suits my personality.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-31-2021, 07:41 AM)Cooler Wrote: ...and your patience...

That certainly explains my problems.  
Laugh
I have learned a lot from watching that guy.

Helped a ton when I did my office last year.  

Yes

Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me