Dividers
(04-01-2021, 02:47 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello all,

Recently I have seen some IG posts by my buddy Raney Daed over at Daed Toolworks and then an older blog post from Lost Art Press/Crucible Tools about their dividers.

https://www.daedtoolworks.com/shop/impro...-dividers/

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2017/08/18...and-totem/

My question, am I missing something?

I have a few pairs of old dividers and one new set of Lee Valley dividers which all of the threaded adjustment gismo

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...y-dividers

I like fine tools but it had never crossed my mind to save my pennies for a set of top-of-the-line dividers.  It had also never crossed my mind to get a set of dividers without the threaded fine-adjustment feature.

What am I missing out on?
Raney has come a long way since we discussed whether or not to buy his first Metal lathe over 12yrs ago..If I remember correctly, it was an old Clausing...Good for Raney...he does beautiful work...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(04-01-2021, 10:28 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: There is a problem-solving principle called Occam's Razor. It says that given multiple possible solutions to a problem, the simplest solution is probably correct. Dividers are simple tools. Best to keep them simple.

Hey!

William of Occam was a member of my Franciscan Religious community!
Peter

My "day job"
(04-01-2021, 10:28 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: There is a problem-solving principle called Occam's Razor. It says that given multiple possible solutions to a problem, the simplest solution is probably correct. Dividers are simple tools. Best to keep them simple.

And then we have the Scot's Principle, which says that, given multiple possible purchases to solve a problem, the cheapest choice is the one to look at first.  Screw-adjust or wing dividers are reliable and so cheap at yard sales that you're buying bragging rights but no more than that buying boutique dividers.
I bought these as a scribe tool. They are exceptionally made and look cool. They work as a divider also. Just an fyi,

https://www.amazon.com/5MoonSun5s-Scribi...75&sr=8-30
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(04-02-2021, 06:54 PM)museumguy Wrote: I bought these as a scribe tool. They are exceptionally made and look cool. They work as a divider also. Just an fyi,

https://www.amazon.com/5MoonSun5s-Scribi...75&sr=8-30

One of the Xacto knife handles is skinny enough to fit in that pencil holder.

I got lucky and found one, but I never figured out what Xacto called that handle versus their more common thicker one.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(04-03-2021, 10:11 PM)iclark Wrote: One of the Xacto knife handles is skinny enough to fit in that pencil holder.

I got lucky and found one, but I never figured out what Xacto called that handle versus their more common thicker one.

I believe it's the #1 knife.
Raney and Chris and crew have managed to gather up and keep their followers, and are selling all those tools that they can manage to make.
Good for them. It keeps them in business and food on the tables.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I love what Chris and Raney do for tools. They've established a western hammer for 85 $. That tool is a piece of art, but sure doesn't hit better than any 3 € lump hammer from the flea. Buut if you make beatiful pices for others, it si nicve to treat yourself woth a nice tool for you shoü. If only shipping wasn't soooo expensive theses days I would buy both the hammer and the divider. Would buy Raney's spin off though, as it is even nicer.

Cheers
Pedder
As is the case with all manner of types of products, it's an expensive version of a common tool which doesn't provide any difference in functionality. When you price a common tool much higher than the market's average, you definitely have limited your potential sales. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Many of these types of tools are produced by one or two-man shops who don't have the capacity to knock out hundreds of them. It's, no doubt, a fine tool, but it won't make you mark your dovetail spacing any better than the vintage divider $1 flea market find. I don't fault the guy for trying to make make a living selling those things. Personally, I'm not drawn to those dividers because I don't think there's anything special about them. I own some "boutique" tools. I find most of them to offer something I can't get from the more common versions. For example, Knew Concepts' fret saw is really a superior saw compared to the more conventional fret saws. I think Ron Brese's hand planes, Blue Spruce chisels, and Two Lawyers' saws (cheers, Pedder!) are the apex of craftsmanship and beauty.

But to answer Peter's question. No, there's nothing special about those dividers when it comes to marking and measuring, except that they are made from an exotic steel, and they require a special tool to adjust the tension. They are 3x more pricey than a pair of Starrett Toolmaker's dividers.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-05-2021, 03:23 AM)Pedder Wrote: That tool is a piece of art,
Cheers
Pedder
Nice hammer? Yes.

Art?! No way.

Simon