How would you reach the peak of our house to paint it
(04-02-2021, 09:06 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: WWTom-

True- that's another option.  Yes, I looked into the boom lift rentals...for 2 days it would be about $650ish, but I can also do the opposite side while it's here.  

And that should save me a trip to the ER 
Sad

Had a building painted in July of last year.  On the 29th I got the call that one of the painters fell off the scaffold and died.  
$650 isn't that big of a deal in the scheme of things

I am looking to buy a scissor lift for use around my house.  Cleaning gutters and paint will cover it pretty quick.  I have a redwood on one side and a large oak in front gutters are always filled with both.  Gutter guards don't do much with Redwood seeds and dirt that fill up my gutters
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Write the check.  Only guessing, but you're on here asking for suggestions on how to do this, so you're not real experienced at this work.

There's all manner of ways to get hurt in this job, renting a lift only mitigates some of the risk.

We had our place painted and caulked last year; house, two-story shop building, and one story machine shed.  Quality painting contractor.  Pricey, but the place looks great, I didn't fall off any ladders and didn't tear up landscaped beds moving a boom-lift around.  The painters also took down some old unused antenna mounts and made the mounting points disappear -- no extra charge.  Those young guys used two 40' extension ladders.

9 year guarantee.

They were here three weeks doing the job.  To do everything they did would have taken me MUCH longer.

Please don't become what your chosen screen name says.
(04-03-2021, 11:29 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Had a building painted in July of last year.  On the 29th I got the call that one of the painters fell off the scaffold and died.  
$650 isn't that big of a deal in the scheme of things

I am looking to buy a scissor lift for use around my house.  Cleaning gutters and paint will cover it pretty quick.  I have a redwood on one side and a large oak in front gutters are always filled with both.  Gutter guards don't do much with Redwood seeds and dirt that fill up my gutters

The two problems that come with a scissor lift is do you have access directly under where you are working and they do not like sloped ground.  Roly
(04-02-2021, 08:58 AM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: An extension ladder with a ladder jack and plank long enough to sit on the ridge.  Then you can use an 8 ft step ladder on the plank with step ladder leaned against the house. You should be able to reach the peak.

A boom lift would certainly be safer but also cost about $450 to rent for a day with delivery.  Still saves you money by DIY the painting and far cheaper than out of pocket maximum on your health insurance if you land in the hospital all broken up.

I think he is right on point. Might get away with a 2x4 nailed to the roof on the bottom side. You would need to use a ladder with adjustable legs. It is not without danger.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
Just hire a painter
Ain’t worth the possibility of falling off something cobbled together....
(04-04-2021, 10:21 AM)Roly Wrote: The two problems that come with a scissor lift is do you have access directly under where you are working and they do not like sloped ground.  Roly

All of my properties are flat.  I don't like sloped properties much at all.  I almost bought a place in 88 on a hill might have been earlier when I watched the news and saw houses slide down a hill in Marin.  It left an impression as did the houses that slid off cliffs when I was a kid
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(04-02-2021, 08:25 AM)brianwelch Wrote: I rented (actually had free use of) a boomlift to install siding on the high area of my house...not necessarily the cheapest route, but safe, and fun...
I considered pump jacks and plank, but the safety aspect had me a bit concerned...

It might be cheaper to just hire a professional painter.  It is certainly easier.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-02-2021, 08:11 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Well...the job started out simple enough...... just scrape and paint the trim around the door.  Did that, but when I stained the side of the brickmold, we noticed how faded the front of the house was.   
So, over the past 2 weekends I re-stained the front of our house (you can see that I've completed the bottom and a portion of the top).  You can also see how the stain faded by comparing the outline of the shutters.   I don't mind painting, it is easy work and as long as you have a radio out there, I'm a happy camper.

We thought we could get away with just doing the front, but the garage side gets a lot of sun and as you can see, it looks a different color than the front now.

My dilemma is this:  How can I get to that peak over the family room?   In my drawing with the colors you can see the white ladder.  I can reach probably reach 4 ft up the peak tot he right of the ladder.  See the black arrow?  That's how much of the trim I could reach a few years ago, so I need to run it up to the peak this time.

I can lay a section of the extension ladder on the roof and secure it over the peak of the family room, so I should be able to reach the majority of that roof, but not all of it.

I was thinking of building the red triangle with wide feet, set it a few feet out from the roof and leaning the step ladder on it to reach the rest (illustrated by the yellow line advancing up towards the peak), but that seems a little risky to me.

Sure, I could pay someone but I'm cheap and that way doesn't involve building anything  :
Smile  So, how would you reach and paint that peak?

I would rent the lift. I have used a pump jack and scaffold planks in the past. Then I got smarter and rented a boom lift.
I do not recall what it cost, whatever it cost it was worth it.
mike
pssshhhh........https://www.instructables.com/Safe-Scaffolding-for-painting-above-an-attached-ga/

try this, if you are 50 and younger and in good health/ physical strength and not scared of ladders or heights...

it looks like the carpet is what is causing friction from the plywood board sliding under the ladder. However, if you are concerned about slipping, the top 2x4 can be easily screwed into the roof. The lower ladder pads can be screwed to the plywood board. I'm a cheapskate too. if it were me, Id try the ladders first. If I were scared on the ladder up there, then rent a lift.
There are jobs that are just best left to the experts. Pay the money and get to live another day to do other things. You can not take it with you. Do not want to be the richest guy in the cemetary.
John T.