Paduak
Turned some this morning for the first time. I have been sneezing ever since. first time I have ever had a reaction like this. Anyone have similar issues with this or any other wood?
Makore for me--almost to the point of scary.
earl
Rosewood for me. Makes my hands and arms swell badly. I wear good dust protection so just getting it on me I seem to react from being on my arms and hands. Got to where I don't do any kind of rosewood and am very careful around walnut.
Mahogany.   By the time I finished our bed and night stands, runny nose and head achs were a regular occurance.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(04-02-2021, 01:44 PM)Turner52 Wrote: Turned some this morning for the first time. I have been sneezing ever since. first time I have ever had a reaction like this. Anyone have similar issues with this or any other wood?

Any wood which displays some degree of durability in contact with the ground is possible.  Especially tropical woods which are under bacterial/insect attack year round.  They've thrived because they kill what's trying to kill them.  

You can get a good drop to vacuum setup suited to your lathe and take care of dust.  Mask will add to it.  A respirator can help with off-gassing, but contact dermatitis needs something dangerous to the operator - gloves.  Can use a mineral-oil based (most are) hand lotion to slow reaction if you're not too sensitive.  Other than that, keep some Benadryl around.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Each of us is allergic to something. With luck you never find out which. Padauk doesn't bother me at all, but if I walk in front of an hibiscus I'll sneeze for days. 

The important take away, BENEDRYLL in your first aid kit. In case you have a serious (breathing) reaction to something your working on.
Thanks for the replies. I did have a dust mask on,but if I ever do it again i will go to the respirator. No sign of any skin irritation though. At least thats good.
After turning and sanding a bunch of Walnut, I developed a minor allergic reaction to it. Fortunately, after a couple of years, it doesn't bother me again, but I am careful to put on a dust mask if I'm going to do a lot of Walnut sanding.

I am very allergic to Cocobolo. Doing some research, I found it's a member of the Rosewood family, along with Poison Ivy. All are oily and I stay way from that stuff, no matter how nice looking it is.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
(04-03-2021, 06:20 PM)sniper Wrote: Doing some research, I found it's a member of the Rosewood family, along with Poison Ivy.  All are oily and I stay way from that stuff, no matter how nice looking it is.

This is incorrect. poison ivy is in the family Anacardiaceae and trees of the dalbergia genus are in the Fabaceae family. They are not even in the same order. They are not remotely related.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Monkey Pod makes me sneeze. I don’t turn it anymore....
VH07V