Glue Question
Hi, all. 
I have a question about heat-resistant glue.  I have to glue two or three boars together that may be subjected to some high heat.  My son has asked me to build him a large trivet.  He wants it to be 24" x 24".  He wants it big enough to sit a large ro0asting pan on.  .....Don't ask.  He just thinks I can do it.  Does anyone have any recommendations on the glue that can withstand some heat?

I know Titebond III is advertised as waterproof, but I don't know about heat resistance.

Thanks,
Ray
TB III has terrible high temperature performance, worse than most anything else, but it would likely still survive if the boards are thick enough to dissipate the heat. Regardless, I'd use Gorilla Glue.  It has better high temperature performance than most other commonly used glues.  

John
(04-02-2021, 05:45 PM)falcon Wrote: I know Titebond III is advertised as waterproof, but I don't know about heat resistance.

Thanks,
Ray

I agree with John.  The titebond website shows this chart.  It appears that when heated to 150F overnight, its strength is reduced to only 800 psi.

[Image: 51091218093_2632757387_c.jpg]
(04-02-2021, 05:45 PM)falcon Wrote: Hi, all. 
I have a question about heat-resistant glue.  I have to glue two or three boars together that may be subjected to some high heat.  My son has asked me to build him a large trivet.  He wants it to be 24" x 24".  He wants it big enough to sit a large ro0asting pan on.  .....Don't ask.  He just thinks I can do it.  Does anyone have any recommendations on the glue that can withstand some heat?

I know Titebond III is advertised as waterproof, but I don't know about heat resistance.

Thanks,
Ray
I expect crazy glue could take pretty high heat..You could do a test piece...IIRC, there's also an epoxy that can tolerate very high temps...

Edit...quick google search turned this up

https://gluefaq.com/best-heat-resistant-glue/
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks to everyone for their input.  Looks like I'm going to give Krazy Glue a try.  Might test it on some scrap to see how it does.

I love this forum!

Ray
Check out epoxies made to withstand high temp. Ordinary off the shelf epoxy will probably be better than yellow wood glues, but the ones made for high temp would likely be perfect for what you are doing. You might also consider making the surface of the trivet uneven; ripply or waffle iron like. This would provide small air spaces to help dissipate heat.
E6000, a glue that is like silicone adhesive on steroids will withstand high heat.  Silicone adhesive will too.  If it is a large surface area it should do fine.  I've used it mainly on non-porous surfaces, but also as a fabric adhesive which has withstood a year's worth of washing and surviving the dryer. 

E6000 is available at Lowes, most hobby stores and Amazon.com.  Silicone adhesive (not silicone caulk) is available almost everywhere.

Do remember that these adhesives remain flexible and will allow for a fair amount of seasonal movement.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
What about plastic resin or contact cement?
(04-08-2021, 10:03 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: What about plastic resin or contact cement?

I use heat guns to soften contact cement to release laminate.  Just saying.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Permabond has an interesting article on the subject:  https://www.permabond.com/resource-cente...adhesives/

It is too long to quote, so follow the link instead.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.