Local or Mail Order
(04-06-2021, 11:28 AM)Cooler Wrote: My other test was field testing. 

I refinished the tables at a local Starbucks.  Less than one year after their remodel the factory finish was failing. 

I sanded down to bare wood and applied four coats of Minwax oil-based (over Baltic birch). 

Nine years later the tops were still in excellent condition.  They clean with a sanitizing cleaner many times per day. 

The key element was to allow 7 days (200 hours) before I returned the tops for use.  That way it was fully (or nearly fully) cured before putting into service. 

That is a pretty harsh test, and it passed with flying colors. 

I would note that the 9-year-old finish was objectively harder than the 2-week old finish.  Enough proof for me to conclude that 200 hours is not quite a 100% cure time.  But probably 80% - 90%, and "hard enough" for service.

That's pretty impressive. I would love to hear some similar stories about WB poly. I gave my daughter and grandson desks last summer with Varathane WB finishes. It's too soon to tell how it is going to hold up. However, it should be a pretty good test as neither has a good track record of taking care of stuff.