What lies behind drawer #1?
The underbench cabinet is done ....

[Image: 4.jpg] 

... and now the drawers are being filled, starting with the centre drawer in the top row.

There are 10 drawers in all, and the aim is to use the space as efficiently as possible. Into this cabinet will be those tools I want close at hand, and to access readily. 

[Image: Drawer1.jpg]

The centre drawers in the top two rows are for marking tools. The top drawer will be for squares I use all the time. 

Opening the drawer produces a 300mm Starrett combination square, a 150mm Starrett double square, and a Veritas Sliding Square. these are french fitted into a Jarrah panel (more on the french fitting shortly). ...

[Image: Drawer2.jpg]

Now you know how I like secret drawers
Smile  - well, if you slide this panel back ...

[Image: Drawer3.jpg]

... you find the treasure drawer with a pair of Colen Clenton mitre squares infilled in Sheoak, and pair of Chris Vesper 4" and 7" squares infilled in Tasmanian Blackwood, and a 2x2" Bridge City saddle square ...

[Image: Drawer4.jpg]

The Jarrah panel for the latter squares is a loose fit, snug at the sides and about 5mm of expansion space at the end. At the right side of the photo are the rails, which were glued to the sides (but not the loose panel)

[Image: Drawer5.jpg]

[Image: Drawer8.jpg]

Below is the upper panel for the Starretts and Veritas squares. The panel needed to be thin - it is 6mm thick - and cut outs made rather than french fitted. This was to save space by having the tools hanging down rather than sticking up.

[Image: Drawer6.jpg]

[Image: Drawer7.jpg]

The eagle eyed will have noticed that the rear of the drawer was cut away. This was to allow for the upper tray to slide past the drawer back, which takes advantage of the space behind the drawer when it is opened.

There was a little extra shaping as the body of the Veritas hung down lower than the other squares.

[Image: Drawer9.jpg]

The upper tray runs on the Jarrah rails attached to the inside of the drawer sides. Finally, there is a rail added above the tray to prevent it tipping as it is slid back. This is in the same Tasmanian Oak as the drawer sides.

The drawer manages about 90% extension without any support.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
That is a great looking cabinet. The drawer organization is really nice as well.

One question for you.  I'm guessing that since you created the cut outs for these specific marking/measuring tools that these are your primary or only tools that fill this function. I have lots of copies of these same tools.  Do you find that you only use those specific ones because or do you have another drawer piled high with other versions of these tools and these are the ones that go with this bench?
Stav, I have a number of other squares but, with a few others (which will end up in drawer #2), these are the ones I use much of the time.

I have also made the decision to rationalise my existing collection. I have spent more than a few decades acquiring tools, and it is time to choose which stay and which go.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Looks nice, Derek! As if you needed it, I'll bet the extra weight makes for a more stable bench. I'm also betting the hardest part of the entire build was hefting the cabinet into the base. I also built my own cabinet for a Sjobergs bench, but it's not nearly as sophisticated as yours. I did splurge on some nice figured maple for the drawer fronts, though. My carcase and drawers are baltic birch.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Hi Derek, your entries don't let many questions open. So I just thank your for your entries. They bring joy to my life!

Cheers
Pedder
Allan and Pedder, many thanks for your kind words.

Allan, even without many tools, the cabinet is already very heavy. It is never going to fit the tools of Studley, nor look as pretty, but no doubt will rival his for weight.

Pedder, yes - there are not many questions when I post. I really have no answer for that.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Derek, I always enjoy your posts and thank you for sharing good information.

I, and perhaps others, would love to see the other drawers if you "trick them out" in the same or different manner.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Derek, as usual, world class work!  

You put most of us here to shame, without a doubt.

Love to see your posts.

Yes
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me