Anybody ever refinished a tub?
LOML acquired a 100-year old clawfoot tub several years ago and it's in the guest bath.

But she doesn't like the rust stains in the bottom.

I'll attack it first with silicone carbide and see if it cleans up, if it doesn't I'll need to coat it.  

Anyone got any product they've used and liked (or disliked)???
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I would try a product like CLR (calcium, lime, rust) remover to get the worst of it then Soft Scrub (a mild cleaning abrasive) before I went to 1500 min. to sand out any remaining dark spots. follow with 2000 then a good car wax to help keep it white. This has worked on old sinks and a not so old jetted soaker tub my wife brought home and asked me to install.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I used Ekopel on my tub 3 years ago. So far so good. Pretty easy to apply.
I used Lysol Power toilet bowl cleaner for my final wash on it prior to finishing. It has Hydrochloric acid in it.
I watched plenty of videos beforehand and took all precautions...

Ekopel At Amazon

I am about to do another in a month or so on a Rehab I am doing. I bought a similar product that one Reviewer said he preferred over the Ekopel.
ArmoGlaze provides the final wash solution for their product.

ArmoGlaze at Amazon

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I saw a Rehab Addict  withNicole Curtis on HGTV where she needed to refinish a tub. 

She said that when she did it herself it seemed to last 4 to 6 years and when she had a professional do it, it lasted 15 years. 

I think that the pros have a stronger acid etch for the old porcelain than the kits provide. 

You should be able to find a professional to do this in one day for $350.00 to $450.00.  I personally will be using a pro to change my bathtub to white when I am finished with the remodel.

This is not my bathroom, but it is the exact same fixtures in the same colors (including the tiles).  The only difference I see is the vanity lights.  All from 1953.

[Image: vintage-blue-wall-sink.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-05-2021, 07:45 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: LOML acquired a 100-year old clawfoot tub several years ago and it's in the guest bath.

But she doesn't like the rust stains in the bottom.

I'll attack it first with silicone carbide and see if it cleans up, if it doesn't I'll need to coat it.  

Anyone got any product they've used and liked (or disliked)???

I have never done it myself but I have had two bathtubs and wall tile surrounds recoated by Miracle Method and the outcome was outstanding. Its been 4 years and there has been zero issues with it and they still look brand new. It was well worth the money. I would estimate for a single tub it would only be about $500.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
(04-07-2021, 09:54 AM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote: I have never done it myself but I have had two bathtubs and wall tile surrounds recoated by Miracle Method and the outcome was outstanding. Its been 4 years and there has been zero issues with it and they still look brand new. It was well worth the money. I would estimate for a single tub it would only be about $500.

It does not appear to be a nationwide business.  None in the northeast USA in any case. 

He will either have to google for a name or use Angie's list or Houzz for a name.
(04-07-2021, 01:27 PM)Cooler Wrote: It does not appear to be a nationwide business.  None in the northeast USA in any case. 

He will either have to google for a name or use Angie's list or Houzz for a name.

Yes it is. There is one in Louisville KY. Not sure how far that is from where he lives.

Miracle Method Find a Location
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
I found this online:

For tougher rust stains, make a paste of two other pantry staples: three parts baking soda and one part vinegar. Apply it to the rusty surface with a scrub sponge, and let it sit for an hour. When you rinse it off, the rust should be gone, though, for more severe stains, you may need to repeat the process.
I've tried CLR and one other rust remover already, helped a little. Next step is some fine silicone carbide sandpaper that seemed to do some good when I tested it.

Louisville is only 40 miles away but real question is will "the management" want to spend that much?!?!

It won't be used much so the DIY kits might be best.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
My limited experience is that it is best left to the pros, (take the time to find the ones with a good reputation), as there are a number of "fly-by-nighters" out there...
I had it done by the cheapest guy, at his shop for an upcoming reno, and my fault for leaving in an unconditioned space during the winter, which may have caused it to fail. Patched it myself, with a product called Tile Doc, a Rustoleum product picked up at a Sherwin Williams store. My prep, though extensive, may not have been 100% correct as we got maybe 2-3 years from it. Then paid someone with a decent rep to re-do ($400). While there, they spilled a bunch of white epoxy on our driveway and left. 
They had to come back 2x to take care of overspray and some missed areas. 
We eventually agreed to a resolution, but it took awhile...
On the other hand, my folks had their entire tile surround and tub done by a well known service, and as far as I know, they are very pleased...